Is listening to an audiobook cheating?

• Yes: it' cheating
  • No: it's still enjoying the literary work
  • Other (please explain)

You will be able to change your vote.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2007 - 10:26pm

I read for a living, and that last thing I want to do is read for pleasure. In these busy times of life, audiobooks are the perfect way to squeeze in NON-important books for pleasure.

Besides, in the world of teaching, there is a type of learner that learns BEST by hearing: Auditory Learners.

I learn best by reading (Visual Learner), though, so if I'm really wanting to get the grasp of something (hence: IMPORTANT reading) I will read. But, for pleasure, where I don't need to "learn" the material, give me an audiobook any day--especially because I live in a rural area and have long commute times even for groceries. We also go on long-distance driving trips.

It's no different than listening to the old-time Radio Shows like Mystery Theater, etc.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2007 - 6:59am

I agree. I work very long, long weeks. My eyes & brain are a little sour and tired by the time I get off of work. I listen to books, while I'm keying at work & processing payments. If my tape player worked in the car I would listen there, too.

Jenny

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2007 - 7:41am
I don't think it's cheating by listening to an audiobook. If you are ever too busy to read, you can listen to it on tape or CD on your way to work or doing things around the house or whatever. I think it's great & convenient!
5yrssm 
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2007 - 8:11am
I don't know if it is cheating...I just can't imagine doing it!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2007 - 11:54am

I wouldn't call it cheating, but I do see it as less than reading it for yourself.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2007 - 2:34pm

In everything, there are folks who feel if you don't do it a certain way, with certain materials, it's not authentic.

Is a book that is written in longhand more authentic or valuable than a book written on the computer? Isn't it the content that matters?

It makes more sense to me to use a tool (in this case audio books) in the way that makes our lives the best they can be. It's just a tool, the same way that a computer is a tool, or the telephone, or cellphone, or PDA, or any other technology.

There's no "cheating" associated with audio books. It's really just a matter of, Does the tool work for you?

As an example, when acrylic paints came into vogue they were derided by those who insisted REAL art could only be done in oils.

It's like that with any new thing.

The stance is frequently fueled by those who feel threatened the most by the new ....

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2007 - 3:24pm

Interesting question, Poppy, and my answer is a clear no, but I don't know what the notion of cheating would be based on. Having been raised on some of the ancient classics which were transmitted orally to begin with, before being transcribed and written, the oral form of literature in an audio book is more of a return to basics, than a trahison. dang it, what's the word I want? Treaon, or cheating. Oral trasmission of stories brings about a different level of sharing of the story, and any child who has been put to bed and fallen asleep by listening to a beloved adult reading to him or her, has that engrained in them, and IMO, this can lay the ground work for an appreciation of both the written word and the wonders and mysteries that are trasmitted by them. Isn't it about communication, after all?

All right, getting down off my soap box, now.

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2007 - 7:08pm
I voted no SO LONG AS the audio book hasn't been edited. I would only want to listen to an unabridged tape or CD...

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and "Remodel & Renovate" and CL for "Antiques and Collectibles"

Visit me at That Yank In...
and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs:"Neighborhood" RR, "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of San Man snow charts, "Millenium Sampler", 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the new DMC linen threads, and a Kooler Design Studio chart called "Needlework Shop"

CL for "

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2007 - 6:19am
Good point about auditory learners, Indexlady!

Please visit these other great message boards:
Walk Away the Pounds
Fitness and Health

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2007 - 6:22am
You manage to work and listen to an audiobook? I always find that I get distracted either by work or by the book...

Please visit these other great message boards:
Walk Away the Pounds
Fitness and Health

Pages