How are you doing with this week goals?

iVillage Member
How are you doing with this week goals?
Thu, 09-06-2007 - 12:03am

I know that a lot of people aren't participating on the weekly goal thread, but I also know that it doesn't mean you don't have any goals at all this week.

So how are you doing with your weekly goals? Are you finding it easy to achieve? Is it difficult or do you have to struggle a lot of achieve them? Or did you have to look back at what you had written, like me?

Please visit these other great message boards:
Interracial and Interfaith Relationships

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-06-2007 - 12:09am

As I said, I had to look up what I'd written for this week.

So far, I accomplished the first goal, which was to rest and take care of myself. I was more tired than I thought!

I did make plans to meet the friend regarding the history project, but she had to postpone. Hopefully it'll happen this week still.

The photo project I am only now starting to think of. I will make a list of people/jobs that I want to capture on camera, and have a series of questions to ask them so that I can write a short blurb/essay to go with the pix. I'd like that done by Monday next week.

Eating - am good with fruits, good at decreasing meat, but not so good with veggies this week. At least I still have time to correct this before it's Monday again!

How are *you* doing?

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-07-2007 - 7:24pm
Hey there Poppy..
How am I doing? Since I am the one actually posting the weekly thread u would assume that I am acually practicing what I preach but I am not, sadly.
I know I want to be better, I have all the wisdom and the quotes and the books and the knowledge and the tv shows and the self improvement cr*p. But to think that I would actually DO something and get off my fat ass and accomplish what I want to.
No/
WHY?
Haven't a clue.
Suffy

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-08-2007 - 1:04am

Hello,
I am new to iVillage and this message board. Are you asking about general goals or are you working on a specific program?

~Jodi

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-08-2007 - 6:26am

The goals are personal goals that you want to achieve during the week, whether it has to do with health, exercise, home, work or all of that.

Sometimes sharing our goals - making them public - makes us feel more accountable. Plus know that there are friends working on their own goals will also encourage us to work on our own goals :-)

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2007 - 9:21am

Suffy -- Take it one day at a time! Even if you do nothing today, there is always tomorrow... Remember, "The past does not equal the future!" Knowing it and applying sometimes, you know, its not easy to do! I have probably read "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" 10 times (first time was required, so I didn't actually apply what I learned) and "Awaken the Giant Within" at least 3 times.. I also have the entire "30 Days to Personal Power" CD collection of Anthony Robbins... Do I apply it???? OH I WISH!!! I wish that I were 'emotionally, financially, romantically and perfectly successful' already! All we can do, hon, is the best we can do, each day! Thats all you can ask for!

Hang in there! It will happen! You just need to find your own PERSONAL motivation!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2007 - 11:59am

(((((((hugs)))))))

>> But to think that I would actually DO something and get off my fat ass and accomplish what I want to.

Suffy, I know that you wrote that but that is a voice from the past, someone who said something very similar to you, and which you turned into something that you believe is true about you. So you set up goals, have good intentions, and the voice whispers something in your ears.

What if you started with doing some positive affirmations about yourself for the next few weeks, to help you stop this pattern of self-sabotaging your plans before you even begin?

And maybe you could try looking at your fears in the eyes and ask yourself what you are afraid of. What would happen if you ate better and exercised on a regular basis? What would be the consequences for you? And what would that lead to?

I'll share you mine. If I lose the weight I've gained, and have a toned body again, I am afraid of two things. First of all, I am afraid that I will be sexually abused again, because the rapes happened when I was at my skinniest. It's not logical thinking - people don't get raped because they are slim or whatever, but a part of me does believe that a skinny and attractive Pops will mean a Pops that will become a target for more abuse. The second fear is that shedding the weight will make me more visible. I've worked so hard on becoming as invisible as possible that becoming visible again is scary!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2007 - 12:32pm

Ok, Poppy, YOUR TURN!

"IF I lose weight, I will be a target again"

How about we change that into a positive 'thought' for you too?

"IF I lose weight and become fit again, I will less of a target and more able to take care of myself" Start taking some self-defense classes. Karate and Tai Kwondo is not only for self-defense though, its also about self discipline AND becoming physically fit! And YOGA... A lot of the moves you make in yoga to tone you up, are good 'self-defense' stances as well. Think of your weight loss as a way of gaining a MORE FIT and SELF-AWARE person instead of being a victim!

HANG IN THERE! I know from where you come from, been there and done that and I know its TOUGH, but I lost 75 lbs, and became more fit and GUESS WHAT?!?! I am no longer that 'victim' any more and much more able to take care of myself. I turned it around and turned it into a positive and YOU CAN TOO!! I will help in any way I can for you to see the GREAT person you really are inside too!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2007 - 10:15pm
I
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2007 - 12:36pm

Hi Roxi!

You are so very right!

The good news about my recent weight gain is that it doesn't have anything to do with the past traumas, but I've been sedentary (my work hours were very long even though I was working from home) and the past 9 months have been extremely stressful (stress = weight gain for me). The better news is my circumstances have *just* stabilized once again, and I am using this window of stability to start with exercise again, not because I have to but because my body wants to.

I've gone back to belly dancing (which I love for a lot of reasons), and whenever I do belly dancing it makes me want to do yoga, so you'll probably find me doing sun salutations and vinyasas by next week. I've also been informed that we have a performance in December. It's a private performance but we'll be inviting family and friends. There is no way that I am going to dance in public with flabby arms and stomach. Since I can't back out of the performance this means that I have to tone up ;-)

As much as I'd love to take self-defense classes or Aikido classes (tae kwon do just isn't my thing), I just can't make the time right now. I'm trying to see whether there's a place where I can take boxing classes, but the place I've been told off is about 1,5 hours away from me so that's out for now, too.

Thanks for everything, Roxi. I truly appreciate your post and knowing that you are supporting me just energizes me even more. And congratulations for the 75 lbs lost and for becoming a survivor! That's very inspiring :-)

Hugs,