Stress management

iVillage Member
Stress management
Sun, 09-09-2007 - 3:00am

I found this in my inbox today:

A lecturer when explaining stress management to an audience, raised a glass of water and asked, "How heavy is this glass of water?"

Answers called out ranged from 20g to 500g.

The lecturer replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long you try to hold it. If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance. In each case, it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes."

He continued, "And that's the way it is with stress. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won't be able to carry on. As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again. When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden. So, before you return home tonight, put the burden of work down. Don't carry it home. You can pick it up tomorrow. Whatever burdens you're carrying now, let them down for a moment if you can."

Please visit these other great message boards:
Interracial and Interfaith Relationships

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-09-2007 - 9:09am

Oh, what a profound statement and so ABSOLUTELY true!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2007 - 9:32am

I work part time at the local Boys & Girls Club... we were talking yesterday with the kids about 'issues' with each other. Instead of acting on those 'issues', write them down, and read through them, then set it aside. I thought about it, and its no different than stress. Keep a Journal, write down the things that stress you out, reread them... and then set it aside. After a few weeks, you might discover that your stresses are less than you thought they were. Its a different way to 'deal' with your issues and once you see them in black and white, you might find they aren't quite as bad as you first thought! (Oh yes, some will be still!! NO DOUBT!!!)

Just an idea!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2007 - 11:40am

That's a great idea, Roxi!

It works well with all sort of issues, too. If it's difficult to express these in words and sentences, there's always creative expression, too - through drawing, painting, music, poetry, photos, collages. All of these can be incorporated in the journal.

Please visit these other great message boards:
Interracial and Interfaith Relationships