Family heirlooms

iVillage Member
Family heirlooms
Tue, 09-18-2007 - 2:46pm
Do you have any family heirlooms in your possession? What does it mean to you? Did you get to choose this or was it given to you (whether you wanted/liked it or not). If you have children, do you think they would enjoy being given this heirloom later on?

Please visit these other great message boards:
Interracial and Interfaith Relationships

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2007 - 8:56pm

I have a few family heirlooms, and will inherit a lot since I'm my Mother's only child.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2007 - 3:08am

I have the family heirloom that has caused lots of envy and problems in our family for several generations.

I have an antique firearm that has been handed down in our family from the oldest son to his oldest son for several generations. My Dad's older brother was killed in WW2 and so the gun was passed on to my Dad who was his father's only surviving son. Then my Dad....gasp.....had only 1 child, me, a girl. I had many family members bug me about this gun, trying to guilt me into giving it to them because I was a girl but of course I kept the promise I made to my Dad and my Grandpa, that the gun would go to my oldest son.

My only child turned out to be a girl and it is now hers. I still have cousins bugging me for it but there is no way that any of them will get it. If my daughter should not have any children then it'll be up to her who gets it.

It's interesting how these things can be the source of such family conflict and fights.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2007 - 5:05pm

There are several things that I have.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2007 - 5:43pm

My Dad died 2 yearsago this Thanksgiving - I have a number of his things that actually have been in our family for years - a couple of my favs are the pre-mission style couch (that currently has cushions older than me and I'm 44!), the mantle clock that requires

Toni

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2007 - 12:31pm

I have a daguerreotype photo of an ancestor (identity unknown), a silver snuff box with initials and a date on it (again, identity of the initials unknown), and my Mother's crystal and silver. We kids split up "stuff" when it had to come out of storage and be sold.

I don't have kids so I suspect it will be passed on to nieces and nephews and I seriously doubt any of them care a whit for any of it!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and "Remodel & Renovate" and CL for "Antiques and Collectibles"

Visit me at That Yank In...
and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs:"Neighborhood" RR, "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of San Man snow charts, "Millenium Sampler", 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the new DMC linen threads, and a Kooler Design Studio chart called "Needlework Shop"

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2007 - 8:05pm
I don't think I have anything that qualifies and a true heirloom. I have things that are special to m, and things I didn't really want. We also have a number of things from my husband's grandmother - nothing old or valuable, but things we use every day that remind us of her. Wish I had something like that from my grandmother.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2007 - 9:43pm

I think that my most prized possessions are family pictures and my mothers wedding rings and pinkie ring.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2007 - 6:50pm

Oh Poppy, what do I own that ISN'T an heirloom.

2 dressers from DH's grandpa, a bed from same. A bed and dresser from my Grandma, a dresser from a great-Aunt. Buffet and China closet from my parents, as well as Mama's crystal....the list goes on and on.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2007 - 1:02pm

Do you have any family heirlooms in your possession?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2007 - 1:27am

I'm really intrigued by the Morris chair, Jodi. It sounds spectacular. Do you have a photo?

Pages