Legacies

iVillage Member
Legacies
Thu, 09-20-2007 - 2:29pm

Whether it's within the family or for your community, whether it's big or small, local, national or international, most of us want to make a difference and leave some kind of mark that we are/were here on planet Earth.

What is the legacy that you would like to leave? What are you currently doing in order to work towards this? Do you feel that you have the support of your family and friends?

Do you believe in the ripple effect or do you think that one has to do/accomplish something on a big scale in order to make a difference?

Please visit these other great message boards:
Interracial and Interfaith Relationships

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_libelulle
Sat, 09-22-2007 - 10:35pm

I actually started working on this one a year ago with all the kids in my family.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2007 - 1:18am

Roxi, that's a wonderful thing that you are doing. As you said, it might seem like a crappy gift to the younger kids but one that they will grow to cherish later on.

A friend of mine, who is an older dad, started a journal for each of his daughters when they were born. In it, he records not only their milestones but any important, fun or silly even in their lives. He adds cards or photos, but a lot of times it's daddy writing about their day or their week or about something that they shared.

The Boys and Girls clubs are a wonderful legacy. There's a huge ripple effect in that.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2007 - 9:19am

For my family, in particular for the generation that will follow, I'd like to leave the oral history project I am designing right now, as well as create a family album with stories and photos.

For the community, I'd like to set up peer-to-peer support groups for women survivors of abuse as well as helping out those who suddenly become a caregiver.