For all the dieters out there

iVillage Member
For all the dieters out there
Sat, 09-22-2007 - 7:04am

Hello everyone.....

I have bee having a bit of a dilemma with my weight loss plan and I think some of must have been there and may have some sort of advice for me and everyone else encountering this problem....

Cooking in my house is my responsibility, meaning that hubby never ventures into the kitchen, and we are happy that way. Only problem is that he is a very pickey eater, and there willl be days when he will suddenly decides that he is skipping dinner or just not in the mood to eat. That's alright by me, but I always end up with a casserole or a full pot of soup or any other food that nobody else is gonna eat. He is not on a diet, so even when the food I cook him is healthy, it still doesn't fit into my own diet plans. Many ppl suggested that I just throw away the food, since he won't eat leftovers. But I feel too guilty to do that. I mean, this food is a gift, and yes there really ARE ppl who cannot afford it. So no, I am not throwing it away. I always end up eating it myself, and this happens frequently during the week. Almost two or three times.

So what would you do with leftover or uneaten food if you were in my situation? And please don't tell me to stop cooking! I just love it.

Suffy

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2007 - 9:49pm

OH this is an EASY PEASY problem to solve:

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2007 - 12:57am

I agree with Roxi: freeze them

I'm single and buying foodstuff for single servings tend to cost a whole lot more (e.g. buying a whole chicken is cheaper than buying chicken pieces. Unless you are shopping at a market where you can buy as little as you need, then vegetables will already be packaged). Also, I might always have the time to cook every day. So what I do is cook something, which is typically 4 to 6 portion, eat one portion and freeze the rest (in single portion quantities). It's something great to have in the winter, when I tend to want a warm meal as quickly as possible. You can have one day a week leftover dinner night" when you and your husband take whatever is in the freezer to eat. I usually add a salad or a quick veggie dish in order to eat fresh vegetables.

Did you know that there's a whole movement of people out there who cook during the week-end, freeze food, and reheat during the week. After a few week-ends they have a wide variety of dishes in the freezer. It's especially useful when families are big, moms come home just in time for dinner, and for households that are on a budget (you buy what's on offer/on sale at the supermarket and cook various dishes from these). It also allows each family member to pick what they want to eat.

HTH!