Need advice on career move!

iVillage Member
Need advice on career move!
Mon, 09-24-2007 - 4:49pm

Hi everyone,

I am glad that I ran into this board, and really hope to get some sincere advice from you!!

Here is the situation: I am 24 years old, I

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2007 - 6:19pm
i completly understand how you feel. i'm in almost the same boat as you are. i am 23 with a BA in Political Science, and i'm working on my MPA right now.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2007 - 4:09pm

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your advice, it really was nice to see this from

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2007 - 9:10pm

Hey girl,

As a recent architect grad I can say it was the best thing I did! I debated between being a teacher for too long and went back to grad school when I was 23 to become an architect and it was definitely the right thing to do. But...beware...many other grad programs will offer better benefits and compensation than pursuing an architecture degree. For example, my husband is pursuing his MBA and he gets so much help with networking, opportunities, etc...I feel like in architecture (well, really in the creative fields) you really have to make more of your own path. GL! Don't think about it too hard, go with what will make you happiest long term.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2007 - 7:15am

Have you gone to your school's counselor and asked to take a career assessment inventory?

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2007 - 8:50am

Hi CynCynch!

Are there any short courses that you could take? I would talk to a counsellor at your university or elsewhere to ask. Please don't forget that there are many different job within the fashion industry, too such as patternmaker, merchandiser, buyer, etc.

Not everyone goes into the traditional route, either. I mean, Sadie Frost (Jude Law's ex) is primarily an actress and she's opened up a lingerie business with her best friend. Luella Bartley didn't even do a full year at Central St Martins, started to work as a fashion journalist, moved to NY and a few years later decided that she was going to come up with her own line of clothes. If you are interested in fashion, have you tried looking for a job in the industry? As you have a business degree, you could apply for a job on the business side of the industry and see where you go on from there.

There's a book called "What Color Is Your Parachute?" (as well as similar books) that help people focus on what kind of person they are, where their interest lies, what their skills are. Maybe such a book as well as talk with the counsellor at school will enable you to make a decision you are sure of. You could also work with a life coach on the issues that you are facing, including the anxiety. If you think that you anxiety is sometimes an obstacle to moving forwards with what you want to or have to do in life, short term psychotherapy is another option that you have. The therapist will teach you to recognize which issues push the anxiety buttons, and how to cope with the anxiety in such a way that it doesn't become a stumbling block for you. I've always seen it as an investment that we make in ourselves because we're learning skills that we'll be able to use for a very long time.

I hope this helps!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2007 - 9:08am

Hi again, Skeeter!

Well there now, you do have something you are interested in :-)

Have you ever though of taking a part-time job as a photographer's assistant? It's a great way to get to know the field and the business from the inside. Also, there are so many kinds of photographers out there (fashion, wedding, architectural, landscape, portraits, etc), it could also be a good way for you to discover what kind of photography really interests you. I am also sure that you'll get to learn so many things that a 2-week course won't and can't cover in depth. Nearly all the professional photographers I've hired had an assistant to help them set up the lighting and the cameras and in time most of the assistants took on jobs of their own :-)

Are you already an accomplished photographer? Have you taken courses previously? Are there clubs where you live? What about joining an online group? Have you looked into other courses available nearby that is less punishing on the pocketbook? Check out if local universities have evening or week-end courses or workshops.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2007 - 9:36am

Welcome to the board, Tartar and congratulations on getting your Masters!

One of my best friends also has a Masters and she's now working in London for a big firm after a stint in Italy (which was really a huge feat since it's difficult to get a work permit there, let alone renewing it). She had always taught, too and this is something that she loves to do. If you are interested in teaching, you could always teach architecture as well as practice :-)

I hope to see you often here!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2007 - 2:13pm

hi Poppy!

thaks for the advice. that might be something i can do in the future. i've got

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2007 - 12:43am

Hey Skeeter,

Keep us updated on the courses/workshops, okay? And when you've taken a photo you are particularly proud of, don't ever hesitate to share with us!