In-laws

iVillage Member
In-laws
Thu, 04-30-2009 - 7:36am

I received a care package from my ex's mother today ~ we've been exes for 8 years now but his mother and I are still friends and we stay in touch regularly. I have to say that from two of the three long-term relationships that I've had, my relationship with the mothers or surrogate mother, has been very good.

My relationship with my sister-in-law, polite and distant at first because we didn't know each other and because we were so very different, has also become close. I also like her sisters.

I do know that relationships with in-law can be extremely rocky if not toxic and destructive. I don't have to look very far for that, either.

How are your relationships with your in-laws? Are you a good in-law?

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_libelulle
Thu, 04-30-2009 - 1:27pm
I will say yes, LOL
I was better when we were younger ::blush::
However am still good I think
We do get along fine ..
Nice thing is now we live in different states ::gasp::
We see them once every two years .. perfect :)

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-30-2009 - 6:47pm
I get along fine with my in-laws, but it helps that DH and I live in SC and they are in MI. DH and I lived with them (and my BIL) for a year and a half, and that was very rough. But since we've been living down here my relationship with them has gotten a lot better. DH is very close to his mother and he talks with her quite often. And his relationship with his father has gotten better once we put some distance between them and us.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-01-2009 - 2:33pm

I had a relationship from hell with my in-laws.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-01-2009 - 4:23pm
I think it can be a lot easier to get along with in-laws (for me).

33943_l.gif picture by thelalastuff

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-04-2009 - 4:22am

Yes, having in-laws that one only has to see once in a while helps a whole lot. Why do you think you were better when you were younger, Hugs?

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-04-2009 - 4:40am

I know there are families that get along just fine when they all live under one roof, but I think they are the exception rather than the majority? For me, it would be a question of space and privacy. In addition to that, a lot parents have a very difficult time remembering not to treat their children as kids but as married adult children when they are living under the same roof.

It's good that your dh's relationship with his dad has gotten better, and that your own relationship with them has gotten better.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-04-2009 - 4:53am

I'm sorry you went through those difficult years, Ludam. I've had glimpses - courtesy of my brother's MIL - how excruciating it can be. I am glad those years are over now for you.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-04-2009 - 5:09am

Oh yes! This is what a friend also told me.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-04-2009 - 10:20am
Think when the kids were younger made more effort to stay in touch,
Now we do but not as often.
I don't remind DH to call as much either ::blush::
Maybe it's because they're his parents :)

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-04-2009 - 10:30am

Glad there are MIL's out there that are so loving! I thought I had a good relationship with MIL for years and then she turned on me when a substance abuse issue came up with SIL.

Pages