Have you ever changed careers?

iVillage Member
Have you ever changed careers?
Mon, 05-04-2009 - 7:24am

I've done quite a few things in my professional life and it looks like a couple of new paths are opening up in the very near future.

Have you been in the same profession throughout your career or have you had a few different jobs? What prompted this change? Had it been scary and stressful for you or did you embrace it fully from the beginning? Was this something good or do you regret the change?

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-04-2009 - 2:43pm
I started out as a secretary for a stock brokerage firm, then a secretary at an ad agency and worked myself into an assistant copywriter, but the last 20 years of my working life were spent as a legal assistant in a large law firm.

Molly

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-04-2009 - 3:18pm

I have changed once. Well, maybe twice if you count the yar I was an assistant prof at U of F after graduation. But mainly...

I was an environmental consultant/tech writer for an engineering consulting firm for 12.5 years but I burned out big time. So I quit, sent out my resumes, and six months later ended up teaching community college for 6 years before DH got transferred to London and I was "retired" early!

Was it stressful to change? yes. but more stressful to sty in a job I hated. I'm gald I did it and wish I could teach again but in this economy and at my age... no colleges are hiring.

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

April is National Decorating Month
In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?

CL for "

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-04-2009 - 4:16pm
I've never had a career. I've only had a series of jobs. I've worked in pet shops, as a veterinary assistant, in a kiosk in a mall, in a couple of gift shops, in a concession stand in the zoo, spent a summer as a secretary in the religious studies department in college and as a manager in a Books a Milllion. The only job that I regret leaving was my vet assistant job, but I had decided to return to college and I couldn't fit the job in with school. And although I was a manager at BAM, it was a nowhere job, since in order to get any higher up the ladder there it would require me to move to another location (ie, to another state) and I wasn't going to move because of a job I didn't like.

I've decided to go back to veterinary medicine. Because I left the field 13 years ago and the field has changed so much in those years, I'm taking a class right now so that I can return to the field. It's the one job where I've felt the most at home and enjoyed the most.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-04-2009 - 9:21pm

I've spent time in food service, retail, as a manicurist, and teaching preschool.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-05-2009 - 12:17am

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-05-2009 - 12:18am
SAme one forever, LOL
Well teacher here but not right now ..
Love this profession too
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-05-2009 - 2:08am

1. Professional self-employed tailor.

2. Professional self-employed

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-05-2009 - 9:21pm

Hello Poppy! Congratulations on new doors opening for you!I am very happy for you! I spent my time after college trying to get a cushy corporate job. I got a degree in business minor in finance. All through college I thought about teaching or doing some global type business courses. But I thought I was doing what would bring me a 6 figure income. I was so devastated and disspointed as I had to wait tables and be a nurses aide. I discovered that a degree didn't gurantee you a great paying career. So, I went to a community college and got accepted to private old college for a 2nd degree in nursing. Only to find out after a year, it wasn't for me. And that hurt because nursing pays well and they are always needing nurses. So, i went back to corporate america in customer service. Worked several years in the wireless business and now I work for one of the big 3 automakers on the finance side. This is the first job that required a degree and actually paid me extra for it. It is a very unprofessional enviroment and anything goes. They have no written rules for the dept I work in, so they have no way of evaluating me. Which is good. But right now we work 10 hour shifts and I have a 45 min commute in the Dallas/Ftworth area.

I had been thinking about a new career for a while. I did some work years ago as a sub teacher. It gave me a chance to see what type of teaching I enjoyed. The entrance requirements were pretty strict and I had some other personal circumstances(going a month without a paycheck),that prevented me from pursuing it. My mom passed away this past January. While I was off for bereavment of almost a month, I did some thinking and praying about my next month. I went back to work and felt "out of place". That something was different and that was me. It was either law school or teaching. Law school didn't work out. I am kinda glad as the tuition is pretty steep even with scholarships for women&minorites in law. So, I checked out teaching. And due to large shortage, they have relaxed some of the rules in Texas. I took my first TEKS test last month early childhood to 4th grade. And I passed it on the first try! Now I am reviewing for my 2nd test grades 4-8. Once I do that I will be accepted into a alternative teaching program and start interviewing for positions. I truly enjoy little ones, so PreK-2nd grade is my top choice. The program I am starting also has classes one evening a week and on weekends for about a month. So it is flexible for my current employer or when I get a teaching position. I am truly happy with my choice and have done a lot of self forgiving for past job choices. It is all about what you can do for 20+ years, with joy and be financially rewarding as well. I have no desire to climb the corporate ladder. I have been offered a supevisor position at my current job. All of the supervisors are way more stressed out than I am and have to work mandatory 10 hours overtime all year long. I am just focusing on keeping my joy&peace until my teaching career starts.

hotcarmel

"Do not worry about tommorrow. Each day is a gift from God. Untie the ribbons and enjoy today!:)

Chelle-

Amour-Propre

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-06-2009 - 11:09am

That's pretty varied, Molly. Which job did you most enjoy? Did you find it easy to transition into new industries?

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-06-2009 - 11:19am

I agree that it's too stressful to stay in a job one hates. For a very long time - years - I'd get nightmares about my ex-boss, and nearly have hives if anyone talked about that part of my professional life.

Ack - the fate of the expat wife whose career stops when they move to a country that doesn't allow the wife to work.

If you could teach again what would you teach? Did you not do something with mystery books?

Pages