Resumes and CVs

iVillage Member
Resumes and CVs
Thu, 05-14-2009 - 1:46pm

Today I received a text from someone, asking me to send my CV as he needs to send it to HRD.

I told him I had one, made a few months ago when I was preparing a bid on an art consultancy project, and would send it to him as soon as I got home. When I got home, I realized that the resume was too much of a resume - extremely brief, just the most important points but sparse on detail. It was to be part of a document that was 40 or 50 pages long, and what they wanted to see was the numbers that I had crunched. So I spent the next 4 (yes, FOUR) hours writing a proper CV, tailored to impress the HRD person. It was a P-A-I-N. Honestly, I've only ever had to submit CV's twice in my working life, and that was just as a formality as HR had to have a piece of paper of some kind to stick into their folder about me.

Do you have an up-to-date CV/resume in your files? How often do you update? If not, when was the last time you had to write your CV? Did you go online for a template? Did you use one of the many books available on how to write a CV? Di you have a professional CV writer make it for you, or have someone review it for you?

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-18-2009 - 12:35pm

I only had to make a resume/CV three times to get work: once from leaving university (a total flop there - not a single positive response), once to get a teaching job when leaving the job I did get through word-of-mouth, and once when moving from that teaching job to another. It was college teaching-specific but when I worked in consulting (that word-of-mouth job).

I had to keep an updated CV for use in company proposals. I resurrected it only last month (had to fin the old floppy it was on find some software that would read it, and then retyped it because it wouldn't print! This "resume" was company specific and LOOOONG. And not updated since I moved to London in 1992 and left the job market.

I could rewrite and tailor it again IF I cold find three professional references (All my old references are dead or long retired from the employed world, I fear...) and IF I were seriously considering searching for a job again. I toy with the idea but in this market, teaching credentials don't mean much as no one is hiring!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

April is National Decorating Month
In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?

CL for "

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-18-2009 - 1:05pm
My resume is not current, it's about a year and a half old.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-18-2009 - 2:56pm
Since I'm on disability, I don't have a resume or CV.

Molly

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-19-2009 - 8:45am

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-19-2009 - 9:46pm
I design my own resume.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-21-2009 - 9:36am
My resume's about 6 months old - I had to update it when I applied for the director's job at the library (before I changed my mind, that is

~Jackie

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-22-2009 - 12:51am

No, I don't think anyone's hiring at the level that you want to teach. Have you thought about taking a course to learn about all the developments in your field since you last taught?

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-22-2009 - 12:54am

Templates are a good way to have a ready-made basic structure from which we can customize to our needs.

I really don't want to ever ever have to make or submit a CV ever again LOL!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-22-2009 - 12:55am

If I had to type my CV, it would have taken me over 24 hours for sure LOL! I was such a lousy typist... Hmm, make that I AM a lousy typist LOLOL!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-22-2009 - 12:57am

Positive thoughts are being sent your way that you get a new contract soon, Tasha. Let us know what's happening!

Pages