Wednesday Stress

iVillage Member
Wednesday Stress
Wed, 05-20-2009 - 4:25am

Yesterday I received a phone call... and immediately my stress levels went up about 3000% and it took all I had to not have it spiral into a full-blown panic attack.

What's stressing you out this week? How are you when your are stress? How do your mind and body react to stress? What do you do to calm and ground yourself again? And what do you do to not let your stress get in the way?

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-20-2009 - 7:39am

What's stressing you out this week? ~ The job interview.

How are you when your are stressed? ~ Anxious.

How do your mind and body react to stress? ~ Depending on how stressed I am, it can range from needing a walk, to hair shedding and full-blown anxiety attacks.

What do you do to calm and ground yourself again? ~ Walk, run, smoke, do a guided imagery, yoga, deep-belly breathing.

And what do you do to not let your stress get in the way? ~ See above. Take it a day at a time.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-20-2009 - 3:39pm
This week hasn't been too bad stress-wise. I am anxious about my exam tomorrow, because it's going to cover a lot of material. So I am more anxious than stressed about it. The stress is going to come this weekend when I'm sitting down and working on my resume. Then next week it will get worse because I'll start looking for a job.

My illnesses, like my fibromyaligia and my IBS, will start flaring when I'm under stress. And I'll start to get more headaches than normal. I try to focus on the tasks at hand and get them done and out of the way. I tend to relieve my stress by venting to DH (he's a very good listener) and by crying. I try to do calming rituals but they don't always work, so screaming and crying is what helps me best. I try to keep stress under control, but I'm not very good at it. I let a lot of little things get under my skin.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-21-2009 - 1:24am

Hello Poppy I am sending you hugs!!Sorry you have had a really stressful day. I hope and pray things get better for you. I was stressed out today about my workout headaches. I get headaches after exercising and I haven't excercised on a regular basis in a while. I take a medicine, but it takes a while to kick in. I am motivated to workout now and I am trying to keep track of what triggers it. If I workout too hard, I know it will come on. When I was at work and did a stroll it didn't bother me at all. I have been told to warm up for like maybe 10 minutes to ease my body into higher impact. And at least 5 minutes of cool down.

Chelle-

Amour-Propre

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-22-2009 - 12:20am

How did your exam go? You've been in my thoughts and I hope that everything went well for you.

If you need help with your resume, gimme me a shout :-)

I promised you the transcript of the affirmations - boy that was a long time ago. I'm so sorry it's tardy. I'll get to it now.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-22-2009 - 12:48am

Thanks so much, HotCarmel.

The interview has been postponed/cancelled. Which is okay - I believe that I'm on my best path and I'm nearing what I'm supposed to be doing. When it's time to do them, these will be in my life. In the meantime, I just work on my other activities.

Did warming up and cooling help with the headaches? It just makes so much sense to do warm-ups, not only to stretch our muscles so that we don't get injured but also tel prepare our bodies to work more intensively. I hope that it helped and that you didn't have your headache.

There used to be a good site for textbooks, but it's been such a long while. Do you know which books they are using? One online resource I use for finding exercises is edhelper. It's been most useful for maths, and I used some science exercises, too last year. This year I just got him a textbook, which turned out to be the textbook his teachers were using, and he's been using that. Not sure whether it'll be useful for you, though. Did you see that book entitled Help! I'm Teaching Middle School Science? What is covered in your exams, though?

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-22-2009 - 12:38pm
The exam was a bit more difficult than the last one, but I passed. I got an A, but a lower score than the last one. Apparently, not all the students passed, so they won't be getting their certificates. I can pick mine up next week. I honestly don't see how someone who came to class and lab and studied could've flunked the exam. I think some people must've just gotten very lax about it. And to think that they basically threw away all the money they paid for the class. I was able to have taken it because last October I got an inheritance from my late aunt's estate and some of that paid for the class. Otherwise, the class would've been out of my price range.

I had a blast earlier this morning. The instructor had set us up for observations at his clinic. We could do it from 9am-noon or from 3pm-6pm. I chose to do the morning one so that I could watch the surgeries. The vet was doing three spays: two dogs and a cat. Assisting in surgery was one of my duties when I was a vet assistant. It was more difficult back then, because I had to stand there and watch the patient's breathing. Now they use a machine that monitors heart rate and breathing and temperature. The vet tech was able to do other things during surgery. And developing x-rays are a lot easier and faster now than they used to be. So now I'm really looking forward to getting back into the field.

I'm going to start working full time on my resume now. I want to start job hunting soon.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-22-2009 - 4:30pm

Hello Poppy,

I hope and pray that you will do well on your interview when it comes up. I know you will! My test has basic chemistry and basic calculus& algebra. I found some kid friendly websites for science and I am ordering a math book. This test maybe a little harder than the first, but I am determined to pass it on the first try also. It costs 120 per take, so I can't afford to not pass it. I am getting my materials together so I can be best prepared for it. It is 5 hours long and we can take breaks as often as needed. Last test I only took one break. This time I may take one about every hour. Just to get some fresh air and regroup. I have a doctors appt to go to Tuesday for my migranes. The medicine I was taking, doesn't really help as much. I need a new medication. It is really debilatating, as I dont' feel like doing anything after I excercise. NOt from exhaustion, but from my head hurting. and today was worse. It has eased off, but I still have a throbbing dull headache. I am going to take it easy until then. I did 2 miles today, with 10 min warm up and 10 min cool down. I will try to get a littel more excercise when running errands;parking far away etc. Anyway, enough about that. I hope you have a great weekend!:)It is a holiday here Memorial Day, but I am off on medical leave.

hotcarmel

"Do not worry about tommorrow. Each day is a gift from God. Untie the ribbons and enjoy today!:)

Chelle-

Amour-Propre

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-22-2009 - 11:39pm
Oh so stressed out here,
We're going on a road trip Monday ..
To move oldest DS to Orlando, Florida for a new job ..
Then after we settle him in we'll head to the beach for a few days to relax.
Then fly home ..
We need Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday to hurry, LOL
Lots to do & oh so little time now :)

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-25-2009 - 3:59am

Woohoo! Congratulations, Nancy! Your aunt would have been so proud and happy that she was able to pay for this course, and that you have succeeded so well.

I'm sending you positive vibes that you get a great job soon!

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-25-2009 - 4:04am

Monday's here already. I wish the three of you a safe trip to Florida.

Have a great time at the beach, too!

Pages