Last Friday of May Five!

iVillage Member
Last Friday of May Five!
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 9:33am

1. Name one thing you did this month you are very proud of.

2. Do you set aside any time each day for prayer, meditation or deep reflection?

3. What's the warmest temp you had this month? Did anyone have snow?

4. Did you buy anything new this month?

5. Did you get rid of anything old?

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 7:12pm
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 10:57pm

1. Name one thing you did this month you are very proud of.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-31-2009 - 10:37am

I hope that you son is much better now and that he gets well soon.

Good for you for signing up for another round of personal training. You must be pretty fit by now! When is the last day of school? What are your summer plans?

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-31-2009 - 10:56am

You forgot to write that you finished your course and got a very good grade!

What genre is Kushiel's Mercy, Nancy?

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-31-2009 - 1:43pm
It is fantasy. There are six books in the series. The author has started a new series based on the same fantasy world, though it takes place about a century later in time.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-04-2009 - 1:55am

Oh cool. I am going through the DiscWorld novels by Terry Pratchett right now but as I soon as I finish that (which will probably take at least another year at the rate I'm going) I'll check this series out.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-04-2009 - 2:47am
I'll give you some of the details about the Kushiel's Legacy series here. The books take place in a world that is similar to Renaissance Europe. They combine politics, religion and sexuality. The people of Terre d'Ange are descended from fallen angels. The first three books are told by Phedre. She has a red mote in her left eye, which distinguishes her as an anguissette, which means that she feels pain as pleasure; in other words, she is a sexual masochist. She is raised as a sacred prostitute of the fallen angel Naamah and as a spy. The first three books that feature Phedre as the narrator are Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen and Kushiel's Avatar.

The next three books are told by another character, Imriel, whose mother, Melisande, is a traitor and the main protagonist in the other three books. The books in this part of the series are Kushiel's Scion, Kushiel's Justice and Kushiel's Mercy.

There are several reasons why I love these books. For one thing, Jacqueline Carey uses a lot of angelic lore (I study angelic lore as a hobby). According to Judaic lore, Kushiel is one of the angels of punishment. Imriel is another angel, as is Naamah, who is a fallen angel of prostitution. I love the fact that Carey created a world similar to Renaissance Europe, since that is a favorite historical period of mine. And as an anguissette myself, Phedre is a character that I can relate to. And another reason why I like the series is that it is long and complex, something I can really

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-05-2009 - 7:12am

Whoa - totally different from Pratchett'ss genre of fantasy but it sounds absolutely fascinating. I can see why you are hooked on it. I'm going to put this series into the books to read list that I have.

Is anguissette the proper term? One learns something new each day :-)

Thank you for sharing, my friend.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-05-2009 - 1:12pm
Well, it's the term that Phedre uses to describe herself, particularly since Terre D'Ange is supposed to be France. I don't use it as a term to describe myself. I just call myself a masochist (though I have another term that I use as well).

While I love fantasy, I seem to prefer the genre when it's written as a series rather than a single book. I think it's because I get so caught up in the stories that I don't want them to end. Other series that I really like are the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin, the chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny and the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-06-2009 - 3:12am

I really like the term anguisette. It reminds me of that blurry place where excitement and angst, pain and pleasure mingle, become one, separate again without really separating.

I agree about series when they are well-written. It's like meeting old friends again and catching up on what they've been up to :-)

Pages