iVillage Member
Changing careers
Mon, 06-08-2009 - 10:12pm
Ok....I had lost a job I really loved.
iVillage Member
In reply to: smak60
Tue, 06-09-2009 - 11:08am

Hi Smak60 and welcome to the board.

For me, it has always been fairly simple: go for the job that makes you happy and healthy. People can say what they want, but they are not in your shoes and living your life. They are not the ones who are unhappy and feeling stifled.

Plus I think that anyone who is over 40, or has grown children has the right *plus* deserves to do what they want to do in life.

What would be the worse thing to happen should you confide to your boyfriend that you want to take the exams for the CDL? What if he doesn't react in the worst way? What if you find out that he's supportive? What would happen then?

How long would it take you to go through all the courses and take the exam? How much would it cost? Are there any truck driver schools nearby? Have you looked at relevant websites? The more your inform yourself about the pros and cons, about the life that you will lead, etc, the more confident you will be when detractors come up with reasons why you shouldn't do it. At the end of the day, though, you are your own person. Your children are adults and are independent. If you can earn a good and steady living and this is really what you want, go for it!

PS: maybe you can contact the schools and ask if there are any women drivers they know of whom you can contact and talk to!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-10-2009 - 11:44am

I thought that I'd give you a background insight. Years ago I did work in a rather good job, with huge perks. The environment was amazing - think beach resorts.

It was also a time where I was most unhappy in my life. I had very bad panic attacks, my self-esteem and self-confidence were decreasing on a daily basis. The supreme leader and I did not get along, and I felt out of place in certain ways. For a few years after I had quit, I still had nightmares featuring the supreme leader. Whenever I would bump into him in real life, I would start itching.

Though a lot of people didn't understand why I quit, the simplest reason was that I had to in order to save my life and my sanity.

Right now, at this point in my life and at my age, I don't expect people to understand. if they do it's a bonus. If they don't but they are supportive anyways, it's a bonus. If they don't and they aren't supportive, I shrug my shoulders and move on. I know that I'm a good and responsible person. I know what I am doing, and I am not hurting anyone in the process - that is what counts first and foremost.

Hope this helps!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-10-2009 - 3:48pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

You have

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-10-2009 - 10:00pm

You are welcome!

One thing that you have to do is research research research. Research not only the training, but also the work, the good sides, then downsides, the job availability at this time (because you want to be hired asap, right). Try to get in touch with women who are in those fields and are in those jobs to get a woman's perspective.

Oh, I just thought of something. Have you thought of seeing a job counsellor? Because I suddenly thought that something like park ranger would be something that you might like (but perhaps it's something that you might hate LOL). That way you aren't limited to two options, and you have an idea of what's out there.

Congratulations on grandchild number 3! How so very exciting? When is he due?

Congratulations on talking to your daughter and your BF. I am glad that they are understanding and supportive. Perhaps your boyfriend sharing the negatives of the driving life isn't to discourage you, but to give you all the information you need to make an informed decision.

Let us know how things move forward, and please join our other conversations. I know you are more used to be among men, but if you read through the conversation threads we're kind of different than your colleagues ;-)

Talk to you soon,