Wednesday Woes and Woohoos!

iVillage Member
Wednesday Woes and Woohoos!
Wed, 06-10-2009 - 11:29am

Most of you are already familiar with the routine: share with us all your woes. This is the place and the opportunity to vent, ladies.

Once you've completed that, give yourself a big hug and share with us all the good things that are happening in your life, big and small. There's also something good going on :-)

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-10-2009 - 3:09pm
Ok, I have something to vent about. As some of y'all know, I've been applying for jobs as a veterinary assistant. I've been out of the field for a long time and recently took a class at the continuing education department so that could help me get my foot in the door.

Yesterday I got a phone call from a woman from one of the clinics. She said that she's called my references and a couple of them didn't remember me. I told her that when I worked with the first vet I was going under my (first) married name. He would not have given me a good review anyway, because he was the boss from hell. And besides, it was 16 years ago when I left his clinic, so I doubt he would've remembered me under my married name. His clinic had a very high turnover rate in employees. The woman also told me that the people at PetSmart didn't remember me. I left that place five years ago and none of my former supervisors even work there anymore. The one who originally hired me moved to Charleston within my first three months. The other one moved to Virginia. And I have no clue what happened to the other one. He was still there when I left, but he isn't anymore. And I'm lousy with names. I can remember people's faces but not their names. So I could only remember the first names of these people. And since I got to call them by their first names anyway, I don't remember them as Ms. Smith, only as Lisa.

I'm sure the woman on the phone thought that I was lying about working at PetSmart or working for the first vet. She said that she'd call the vet who was the instructor of the class that I took and see what he had to say about me. Now, I know that he shouldn't have trouble remembering me. I sat up front, asked a lot of questions, contributed to the conversations and was a good student. What I'm concerened about it that all the other places that I applied to are going to call the first vet and PetSmart, hear that they don't remember me and just write me off as a liar. They don't understand that as a retail store, PetSmart will have a high turnover rate in employees, including managers. Whenever I shop there I see new employees all the time. None of the people I used to work there are there anymore.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-10-2009 - 6:34pm

Hello Sisterhoney,

You may want to try just listening the employment verfication phone numbers for the corporate offices or human resources. Most of my jobs as an adult, do not allow references. Half of the people I have worked with in my field don't work there anymore either.

Chelle-

Amour-Propre

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-10-2009 - 6:43pm

Woes: I had to work overtime today, a half day. Wenesday is my new day off. I didn't go to bed early last night. Watching "changling" movie. It was actually very good! But I am a little pooped right now. I plan to go to bed around 9pm tonight.

Woohoos: I have gotten most of my study materials for my next teaching entrance exam today. I went to a half price books store and got some used middle school teaching textbooks for around $40 for 4 books! I am also finally printing off the official prep test from the state website. The other good thing: I got my fmla papers approved for my leave last month. I am waiting on them in the mail to keep for my records. So, I get to keep my current job! Thank God!I plan to stay there until I get my new career, or get laid off.

I hope everyone is having a good week!:) hotcarmel

"I am an ordinary person, blessed with extraordinary opportunities and experiences"-Sonia Sotomayor

Chelle-

Amour-Propre

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-10-2009 - 10:47pm

Nancy, a lot of time has passed since you last worked for a vet clinic, and unless that woman were new to the industry she would also know that turnovers are pretty high. The other clinics will think the same.

Have you thought of contacting your exotic animals vet and asked him whether you could be a trainee (for free) for a few weeks/until you get a permanent job? Tell him that you've just completed you training, and you'd like to re-familiarize yourself in a clinic but also do something that could eventually serve as reference for other vet clinics. He might say no but he might say yes...

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-10-2009 - 10:50pm

Woohoo for the FMLA papers! Yeah!

Good luck with all the studying! I hope you get to have your early night :-)

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 12:25am
I realized that if this woman was in a position to hire and/or interview people and she called PetSmart she should know to talk to a manager there and not just anyone who happens to answer the phone (and more often than not in there it is the cashier who actually answers the phone). And she would tell the MOD the years that I worked there that I put down on my application/resume. And the MOD would tell her that they didn't get their former employee records that far back and she'd be given the number for PetSmart's HR. I mean, that's what I did at BAM when people would call asking about a former employee.

I e-mailed my exotic animal vet and he told me that that long ago, even five years, he'd have trouble remembering a former employee and that I shouldn't worry about it. I like your idea of doing free training. I know that the instructor who ran the class I just took mentioned that he's had people do that, mostly to see how they would fit with that particular vet and the rest of the staff. I could see about doing something like that.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 8:22am

Okay - so it's Thursday! It seems I go for weeks without having extra stuff to do and then BAM! I get hit with everything al at once! I was way too busy to post yesterday anyway! I did a double shift Tuesday night 3pm until 7am!) and didn't get to sleep until about 6:30 last night but I didn't need to go in until midnight. I spent the majority of my day yesterday in town doing gathering paperwork for my son's interview at Job Corps today.

My relief was a half hour late this morning (VENT!!! This woman has been late much more often than she's EVER been on time! Yes, I've told my boss!) I got off work at 7:30, have a mandatory staff meeting at 9:30 until 11, still have more paperwork to go through and we leave for EEE's interview at 1. Tomorrow, we're closing on our remortgage. And then next week, I need to go car shopping! (But that's a wahoo!)

I'm very hopeful about this chance for EEE and Job Corps - he's my Asperger's son. He'll be 24 in November and has had a hard time with employment to begin with! He's very stuck in his routine of sitting at his computer and doing little else. He needs shaking up and I figure this is a huge shake up that will either make him or break him! I'm at a loss as to how else to help him. (we could good any and all good wishes you can spare!)

I'm grateful I am able to go about all this stuff - I have great health, a car that still works, a wonderful husband and Jay - and then there's the EEE! As frustrating as he is to deal with sometimes, he's still a great young man. He's loving and caring, a very talented writer with a great imagination and really needs a chance at something more for himself. He needs new perspectives.

Go EEE! Win this one!

Bren Jay
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 2:44pm
Since more than one person has suggested to me that I contact the vet clinics I applied to and explain this fiasco, that is what I'm going to do. I found the phone number for PetSmart's home office. Several of the applications had places where I could put down any former names, so I will remind them again of my formerly married name. And in the future on any other resumes/applications I will put down the home office number from PetSmart. So tonight I will type up the notes, addressed directly to the vet instead of the old "To whom it may concern," type them out, place them in envelopes with the vet's name on it and take them to the clinics tomorrow. That will be faster than the mail service and it will save on stamps. I am not going to deliver a note to the clinic that called me, since it was the last place on my list of where I really wanted to work and since I could tell that woman thought that I was lying to her, why would I want to work for someone who wouldn't trust me?

I e-mailed my exotic vet and asked him about volunteering, but he said that since the clinic he worked for was a corporation, liability insurance laws wouldn't accept volunteers working there. He said that some of the independently owned clinics, might, so I will ask in my notes about volunteering at the clinics.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 10:50am

How did Job Corps for EEE go? And yes absolutely - thoughts and lots of positive vibes are being send his and your ways :_)

Go EEE! We're rooting for you!

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 10:54am

I like what you've decided to do - proactive and very much pragmatic.

That's really too bad that your exotic pets vet couldn't take you on as a trainee or a volunteer, but that good that you are mentioning this to the other clinics. What about animal shelters? If you volunteer there, they could also give you a referral.

Pages