I've really got this bad habit...

iVillage Member
I've really got this bad habit...
Wed, 06-10-2009 - 10:57pm
I was reading an article about bad habits in the NYTimes, which got me to list some of my bad habits. On top of the list is procrastination. I know where that comes from, but it's a huge battle.

I am disorganized and mostly disheveled.

I smoke. Less and not all the time and not every day, but I smoke.

My drinking is extremely moderate these days, so that's not even in the list.

I tend to be a shoppaholic, but I'm curtailing that. It's hard.

What are your bad habits? Have they gotten better or worse with time? Are you working on these or are you comfortable with/in denial about your bad habits? How much do your bad habits impact you life, your work, your relationships?

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 2:54pm
I know all about procrastination! That is probably my worse bad habit. I'm also a very disorganized and messy person. I try to get things cleaned up and organized and then they just fall apart. I think a lot of that stems from my brother being extremely anal. And I refuse to be anything like my brother (long story here).

I don't smoke and I don't drink much, but my diet isn't as healthy as it could be and I know that I don't get the exercise I should, even though I have a gym membership. I used to be an impulse shopper, especially with books (my main weakness), but since I left my job a year and a half ago, that has been curtailed drastically.

My bad habits have gotten worse over time, mostly in regards to exercise and diet. I think that this stems from my fibromylagia, which makes it more painful to exercise, and my hypothyroidism, which makes me more tired and not want to exercise. I have been trying to work on my diet and make it more healthy, by cooking more at home and less going out to eat. I can live with being disorganized and messy, since I've been that way for years. The procrastination has the greatest impact in my life. It's the hardest thing for me to work on.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 11:01am

My procrastination stems from fear, so there's a lot of work to do there. For me, everything needs to be perfect, anything less makes me vulnerable and presents different kinds of consequences. The good news is that I am better now, and also much better at delegating. And I'm better at accepting consequences and being imperfect.

Are you still bellydancing?

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 3:58pm
No, I haven't really been belly dancing, mostly because I just don't have the room to do so here, nor the privacy that I would like. These are the same reasons why I don't have an altar to my God/desses here. But then again, this is my mother's house, not mine. Once DH and I have a place of our own I'll go back to belly dancing and I'm putting up an altar.
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-14-2009 - 12:14pm

I'm sending out the positive vibes that everything falls into good place in regards to school, jobs and housing for you both.

Is there a place somewhere on the WWW where people can put up an altar? Wouldn't that be great?

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-14-2009 - 4:03pm
Hmmm.....a virtual altar. Now there's a thought! I'll look around online and see if there is a site like that. There is a site called Pimp My Altar, which is part of the Live Journal site, but that is a site for photos of people's altars. it has some really nice ones and you can get a lot of inspiration from them.
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-14-2009 - 4:15pm

This is a nice thread, Poppy, I may borrow it,,, ;O)

My bad habits are:

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-14-2009 - 7:17pm

Great question Poppy,

Oh my a few bad habits I have too ::blush::

Procrastination would be at the top of mine as well ::gasp::
Along with spending too much time on the computer
Not cleaning everyday
Too much clutter here

I am trying to work on them all though :)

Would you mind if I too borrow this post/topic ?

Click & Get Fit & Healthy with friends!
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-17-2009 - 10:47am

Have you found a site that you liked? I also looked, but I didn't find anything that I found attractive.

Maybe you can make a vision board of an altar?

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-17-2009 - 11:18am

Oh, please be my guest!

I wish I were more of a clean freak. Hey, I think my cholesterol levels are up there, too. Sigh - confirmation day tomorrow.