Information about Egypt

iVillage Member
Information about Egypt
Sat, 01-16-2010 - 3:23pm

Hi.all

I noticed recently that many of my pen friends from around the world doesn't know a lot about Egypt and the Arab countries and I wanted to start a discussion on this matter and to clarify any misconceptions you have, and I ask to speak frankly

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-18-2010 - 8:42am

Hi Rooka,

Why don't you start to tell us about Egypt?

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-18-2010 - 6:09pm
Hi cl-libelulle
you're right i should start at first
Egypt is the most wonderful country in the world and this is not an exaggeration because the magnificent scenery isn't only extravaganza, but the long history , traditions and ethics that any human proud of it. Egypt means the best people and the beautiful culture Religion of Islam or Christianity doesn't call for terrorism as some might. and that is what I try to spread among all the States . so any one have any question please tell me
thanks
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 2:38am

Hi Rooka,

Let's start with the food in Egypt. What are the food specialities in Egyt? What do you typically eat at home on a day-to-day basis, and what are the foods that one has for special occasions? Are there foods that you only eat during the Holidays such as Eid? What about desserts?

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 11:06am
Hi cl-libelulle
In Egypt a lot of delicious foods , such as "Molokhya","koshare" they're very delicious popular dish, "Mahshe" this is my favorite dish , "fata" this dish we cook in Eid Eladha 'Festival of the Muslims' it consists of Some pieces of meat, rice and special sauce , in Eid Elfter we eat cup cakes and fish , in sham Elnsem "Spring Festival" eat fesekh "salt fish" in fact we've alot of festivals so i can't remember all of them now .
about desserts there're "Basbousa and pastry, dumplings "
Note "all this food is very creamy and contain a lot of calories " but we love it
sorry I don't know the meaning of some Arabic words in English
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 8:17pm

I will have to look these up, Rooka, and see if I can find recipes. Unfortunately, we don't have an Egyptian restaurant here though there are several Middle Eastern ones.

You wrote that you have several pen friends. How long have you been corresponding with them and where are they from?

From which part of Egypt are you from?

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 6:07am

Hi cl-libelulle
First I'm from Cairo "the capital" , my friends from America and Paris ,I've been corresponding with them since one month.
If you want come to Egypt I'll accompanied you to try this foods in original restaurants.
Now where are you from ?, Do you've pen friends ?

Edited 1/31/2010 12:08 am ET by rooka2010
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 12:50am

Hi Rooka,

No, I don't have pen friends. I am very bad at corresponding! How did you find your pen friends?

I live in South-East Asia - in Indonesia. Like you, I live in the capital.

Thank you so much for your offer. One day I would love to go to Egypt, but I really don't know when that will be possible.

So what do you do in Cairo? Are you still studying or are you already working? Please join us in our other conversations, too!

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 12:52am

Hi cl-libelulle

I'm still studying " tourism studies " and work in the summer in tourism companies so I deal with a lot of people and make friends , What about you ? How come you bad at corresponding ? we already are corresponding and I consider you my friend now , what's your opinion ? .
For joining you in your other conversations ,I really try to do but I haven't much time , , I'll try because it's very useful for me .
So you are from Jakarta , it's beautiful country , but I don't know a lot about it please tell me more about you and your country .

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 7:25am

Hi Rooka,

I am consulting for a newspaper right now.

Well, in the time before the internet and when we had to correspond by letters, I would always "forget" to go to the post office. It's still like that! Email and the internet has made it easier, though sometimes it takes me some time to respond depending on what's going on in my life.

About my country... let see. It's situated in South-East Asia, it's nearest neighbours are Malaysia, Brunei (we share borders with both on the island of Kalimantan/Celebes), Singapore, Papua New Guinea. Australian is a bit further off. It's an archipelago spanning about 5,000 km from west to east. We're within the Ring of Fire, so we have many volcanoes and earthquakes. The devastating tsunami of 2004 originated in Indonesia, and the area most affected by the tsunami was the North Sumatran province of Aceh, with 140,000 deaths. We're just below the equator for the most part, though some cities sit right on the equator. The temperature is tropical, and we only have two seasons - the wet season (it just stopped raining right now) and the dry season. Average temperature year round is about 32C/90F.

Because of natural barriers - the sea, the mountains and volcanoes - we have hundreds of ethnic groups as well as languages and cultures (including customs, traditional outfits, legends, etc). There are physical differences between the peoples, sometimes subtle and sometimes very apparent. The country is culturally very rich. Indonesia is the nation with the largest Muslim population in the world since around 90% of the population is Muslim. The majority are moderate, tolerant and modern Muslims though there are a few crazy extremists. The country is not officially Muslim, though, and it recognizes other religions (which means that we celebrate everything from Eid, to Easter to Buddha's birthday to Chinese New Year).

There it is, in a nutshell!

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-09-2010 - 12:37am
Based on my knowledge of there History I know they were very advance set of people. They were very knowledgeable and had the latest technology in their times. This is proven by the wonders of the Pyramids and how well they have stand up to the test of time, until this very day.
Glitter Graphics

Pages