February Friday Five

iVillage Member
February Friday Five
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 9:31am

1. How's the weather and what's the temperature where you are?

2. In case of inclement weather, do you have enough food and supplies to last 4 to 5 days?

3. Have you ever had to call for the Fire Dept for an emergency?

4. Have you ever lost your house keys and had to call for a locksmith to come?

5. Hot cocoa, hot tea or hot coffee?

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 11:11am

Love your siggy Poppy :)

Probably low 30's since we're getting snow right now.

2. In case of inclement weather, do you have enough food and supplies to last 4 to 5 days?
You betcha we do!

No thank goodness!

We have lost our house keys but didn't have to call for a locksmith

Love all of those :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 4:32pm

Rainy all day and in the 30s. In other words, nasty!

Yes

One of my houses in Tennessee burned down, but the neighbors called the fire department. I did have to call them once when I was working at a bookstore. My barista told me that she could smell something burning in the cafe, but neither of us could locate a fire, so I called the fire department. I ended up with about 10 hunky firefighters in the cafe. Turns out it was the water heater that was located in the ceiling. I didn't even know that's where the water heater was!

No

I like all three.

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 11:00pm

Thank you, Hugs.

I hope that the storm on the East Coast isn't affecting you.

Keep warm, and have a great week-end!

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 11:06pm

Ok, rain and 30F don't go together. I don't mind the cold and I actually like winter very much, but when it's *wet* and *cold* I am very unhappy. Cold told are bad enough, but wet, freezing toes, wet legs and wet feet are in another category!

You weren't in the house when it burned down? It's frightening to realize how quickly a house can burn. A friend of mine lost everything that she had. She wasn't at home then, but by the time she came back, there was absolutely nothing left.

Did the water heater catch fire? Hunky firemen - yum ;-)

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 11:16pm

How's the weather and what's the temperature where you are? It's around 32C/90F right now, and sunny. The rain might come later on, though.

In case of inclement weather, do you have enough food and supplies to last 4 to 5 days? Easily.

Have you ever had to call for the Fire Dept for an emergency? No.

Have you ever lost your house keys and had to call for a locksmith to come? My flatmate broke her key inside the lock for the building's front door. It was late night Friday, and we had to get a locksmith in the next day to change the lock. Thankfully the neighbours were understanding.

Hot cocoa, hot tea or hot coffee? I would prefer hot tea or hot coffee.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 2:13am
Yes, actually I was in the house when it caught fire. This was during a rare moment when my (now ex) husband and I were at home together. It happened around 1am and I was sound asleep. I guess the smoke woke him up because I never heard the smoke alarm and it was right outside the bedroom door. We lost most of our things. What hurt the most was that we lost a lot of our pets, including Jezebel, our 10 year old Siamese (she hid under the bed and died of smoke inhalation).

The burning smell that the barista and I noticed was actually the insulation in the ceiling from the faulty water heater. I think that the firefighters were kind of disappointed by the whole thing because there really wasn't much for them to do and they had arrived with two firetrucks with their sirens howling.
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 6:02am

I am so sorry for the lost of your pets, but I am glad that you got out of there alive. Things easily go wrong in a fire.

I am sure that those hunks were all pumped up in adrenaline, and realizing that there wasn't anything big to do must have come as a shock though a big relief.

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-07-2010 - 4:30pm

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-07-2010 - 8:45pm

Gotta love those high security buildings with the cards.

Goodness, your MIL is lucky that you were able to perform CPR. Was she okay afterward?