Cultural activities

iVillage Member
Cultural activities
Sun, 02-07-2010 - 8:59pm

We're hopefully going to a classical music concert tomorrow. As a friend of mine said, we need more culture in our lives.

Do you regularly go to watch/see/listen to/participate in cultural events?

What is your favourite activity?

What does a dose of culture give/bring you?

I'm talking about a broad range of activities here - watching something of TV will count!

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-07-2010 - 10:34pm
We really don't go to that much here. We do occasionally go to the state museum or to the art museum. A couple of years ago we got to see Bellydance Superstars, which I really liked. We don't get to see that much because of DH's school schedule, since he has both day and evening classes Monday-Thursday. Once we move to Charleston we might be able to participate in other events, particularly since the Spoleto Festival is held there every year.
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 5:06am

There are now quite a few big activities here that one can expect happening each year, so that it good. Java Jazz is coming soon, and John Legend, Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds, The Manhattan Transfer, etc as well as other international, local and regional musicians and singers are going to participate during the 3-day event. There is one big film festival as well as several small ones and an Arts Biennale. Then there are performances and concerts here and there, as well as lectures at the various cultural centers attached to their embassies.

Having the time and energy to go, and remembering that something is coming up is another matter, though. For me it's easier to go with friends. I don't mind organizing it.

Going to these is like a breath of fresh air for the soul and the mind, and a nice respite from day-to-day activities and routine.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 5:08am

And don't forget the Renaissance Faire!

Oh how I wish I could go to the Spoleto Frestival. That would be so cool. You'll have to tell me about it when you go.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 11:52am

When we lived in San Francsico, we were cultural junkies! One year we had season tickets to tw different theater groups, the ballet, the opera *and* two symphony groups. One cold winter day, I spent hours in a rainy line, exchanging tickets becasue of conflicts so that was the last year we were season ticket holders to so many seasons but we still went to a lot of concerts and plays. AND we did the concerts under the stars in summers at the Concord Pavillion.

In Houston, we did the theater thing (went to a lot of the Alley Theater productions) but missed the diversity available in San Francisco. For example, traveling companies usually were sold out unless you were subscribers but they wouldn't tell you what teh season was before subscription so...

In London, it was South Bank and West End. We didn't do as much as in San Francisco but still, we ramped it up over or Houston experience! n Beijing, we actually went to a couple of performances in the great Hall of the People but there really wasn't that much available! And in Saudi, it was small, expat only, very secret concerts by chamber groups and the like (gathering of men and women together in public was strictly prohibited so it was usually in the gym at the international school on folding chairs. Not a COMFORTABLE venue, to say the least!).

So, back here in Ohio. Not a lot available and what there is is University oriented and not well advertised. we actually subscribed to the local paper in hoes we'd get advanced notice, only to find that they referred to performances AFTER the fact, not before!

So, after all that... not, we do not do much these days unless you count DH's extensive CD collection which blares out from the surround sound system in the basement on a nearly nightly basis!

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 12:57pm

This Thursday I'm heading to the Opera - my aunt and I go to all the opera performances (usually 3 or 4 a season). I love the Opera - we have seen some fabulous fabulous productions and some that are so-so.

We are know as festival city - we have loads of festivals throughout the year that I enjoy going to. I am trying to get out to more, whether I have people to go with or not. Last year I went to some great events like art shows, and street festivals.

I love being out at events that help make a city vibrant, and really helps to establish the cultural identity of a city, I think that it good for the city as a whole to have a variety of events!

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 2:21pm

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 10:17pm

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-09-2010 - 3:06pm

I used to go to cultural activities more often when I lived near a city, but I don't as much since I live much further away from a different city now...I'm classically trained in piano, violin and opera, so music definitely lifts up my mind (even though it feels like a job sometimes since I analyze the music! lol). I also love rock or other musical genre concerts if I really love the artist or band.

I watch some TV that I enjoy. PBS shows a lot of classical music concerts! :)

Photobucket

*Thank you Katie (hubbswifey) for my siggie!*

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

*Thank you Liz (cavenyee) for my siggie!*
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-09-2010 - 3:52pm
I don't do a lot, but my sister and I attend many art festivals (the kind that are juried and serious art).

Molly

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-09-2010 - 10:27pm

Going from a place that is rich with diverse cultural activities to one where there is a rare showing of something is depressing most times.

San Francisco sounds like such an ideal place. Sigh. And London... sigh.

I know what you mean about the local papers! It's so frustrating. And here they also fill the Sunday papers with events happening on the other side of the world, just to put salt on the wound. Fortunately there are mailing lists. The embassy cultural centers have gotten good at this, and the French cultural center even uses FB. One local cultural center is still sending out monthly flyers, which gets through to people like my mom. Then there are websites, but these are mostly filled with party events at various clubs!

Pages