Oh, and by the way...

iVillage Member
Oh, and by the way...
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 12:40pm

Do you have pets?

There are currently two or three cats that have established themselves at home. They stay outside and hang around the neighbourhood. From time to time, I hear them on the roof - for little creatures, they walk like an elephant. I am not quite sure that they think the housing agreement between us is, but they clearly believe that there was a cat vacancy so they filled it LOL.

How many pets do you have?

Did you have pets when you were growing up?

What kind of personalities do your pets have?

Do your pets help you live your best life?

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 2:23pm
I've had pets on and off all my life. The times when I haven't had any pets were very depressing and lonely times for me. My pets have helped to keep me sane and they were there for me when I attempted suicide.

Growing up I had cats, dogs, fish, turtles, anoles and my brother had a caiman. Since then I've had more cats, dogs and fish, as well as birds (lovebirds, cockatiels, finches, and canaries), ferrets, a rabbit, mice, rats, hamsters and gerbils.

Right now I have four cats (well, two adults and two kittens): Billy (the love of my life), Blackie, Siren and Oscar. Each cat has his/her own personality and Siren and Oscar, the kittens, are still developing their personalities. Billy and I have a kind of psychic bond. He always knows when I'm sick. A few years ago I was in a miserable state because I had both diverticulitis and an abscessed tooth. I was taking about six pills a day and was out of work for a week. About all I could do was lie in bed and watch movies on the DVD player. The TV is on DH's side of the bed, so I would lie there and Billy would not leave my side. Whenever I decided that I was finished watching movies and moved over to my side of the bed, Billy would get up and then settle down next to me. My pets are always there for me and love me with no reservations.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 6:50pm

Do you have pets? Yes!

How many pets do you have? About 23. Two cats, a hamster and about 20 goldfish. We had 24 goldfish at first, a few died, and it's hard to count them when they're all swimming around.

Did you have pets when you were growing up? Yes, we always had pets.

What kind of personalities do your pets have? The older cat is independent and cuddles on his terms. The younger cat is a big baby and loves to cuddle. I'm pretty sure my hamster hates me lol. And the fish... well, they just swim around.

Do your pets help you live your best life? I'm not sure! haha

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 2:16am

How many pets do you have?Five

Did you have pets when you were growing up? yes

What kind of personalities do your pets have? One caat is aloof, the other a rag doll. One dog is stubborn, the other one is friendly and coopertative. I can't vouch for the iguana, it's my son's.

Do your pets help you live your best life? The are major parts of my support system!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 6:45pm
Too cute on those cats Poppy,

How many pets do you have?
Well until two weeks ago we had 3 dogs .. now two :(

Did you have pets when you were growing up?
Yes we had a dog .. always pets since before my own kids were born too

What kind of personalities do your pets have?
Bizarre, LOL .. 2 maltese different as night & day

Do your pets help you live your best life?
Oh yes they are always there & cheer me up when/as needed :)

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 12:32am

You clearly love your pets and they love you back!

So are Siren and Oscar adapting well to their new home? Have Billy and Blackie accepted them?

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 12:38am

Welcome to the board, Canmuffin!

You should have seen my face when I read that you had 23 pets LOL!

I used to have a medium-sized aquarium. I was very soothing to watch the fish swim around. The kitten found them fascinating, and when he first discovered them I'd just have a great laugh watching his head turn left then right then left then right then left again... LOL! He also discovered geckos (and thought that they were there for his pleasure), curtains and mice, which he'd hunt and kill, then pick up in his mouth so that he could take it through the garage, up the stairs and deposit right in front of the door. Apparently he never got the memo that mice are supposed to be deposited outside the front door on the exterior side and not the interior one LOL!

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 12:41am

My pets were a major part of my support system, too, Diana and even the fish. There had been times when the one laugh a day would be because the cat had done something funny, and the fish would also make me smile.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 12:43am

Oh Hugs, I am so very sorry for your loss :-(

Our pets are an important part of our families. It's always very sad when we lose our faithful and dear friends.

(((((((hugs)))))))

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 12:10pm
Thank you Poppy,
Have to say this has been much more difficult than any others :(

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 2:40pm

Wow Hugs,

I didn't know - so sorry for the loss.

Photobucket

Pages