Female WWII aviators honored

iVillage Member
Female WWII aviators honored
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 3:45am
I had read about the WASPs a long time ago. I am glad that they are finally getting the recognition that they deserve!

From the Washingtonpost.com:

Female WWII aviators honored with gold medal
By KIMBERLY HEFLING

The Associated Press

Wednesday, March 10, 2010; 7:03 PM

WASHINGTON -- They flew planes during World War II but weren't considered "real" military pilots. No flags were draped over their coffins when they died on duty. And when their service ended, they had to pay their own bus fare home.

These aviators - all women - got long-overdue recognition on Wednesday. They received the Congressional Gold Medal, the highest civilian honor given by Congress, in a ceremony on Capitol Hill.

About 200 women who served as Women Airforce Service Pilots, or WASPs, were on hand to receive the award. Now mostly in their late 80s and early 90s, some came in wheelchairs, many sported dark blue uniforms, and one, June Bent of Westboro, Mass., clutched a framed photograph of a comrade who had died.

As a military band played "The Star-Spangled Banner," one of the women who had been sitting in a wheelchair stood up and saluted through the entire song as a relative gently supported her back.

"Women Airforce Service Pilots, we are all your daughters; you taught us how to fly," said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the first woman to serve as Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. She said the pilots went unrecognized for too long, even though their service blazed a trail for other women in the U.S. military.

Continue to read here.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 6:28pm

I'm glad they did this, Poppy. Such a crime against women, disgusting.

Too bad that so many women's families were neglected and robbed of the recognition of their loved ones' sacrifices and honor in the name of their country.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-14-2010 - 8:38am

It has taken too long a time, yes! I am glad that they are finally getting the recognition that they deserve and that their stories are being told again.

I really wonder why it has taken such a long time for this to happen.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 12:59pm

Um, because they were women?

Also from what I understood, it was about the then present attitudes about women & the military.

After all, a lot of them were "only" nurses ....

Photobucket