Wednesady Q: Vortex of Negativity?

iVillage Member
Wednesady Q: Vortex of Negativity?
Wed, 03-24-2010 - 5:17am

I was meeting up with friends a couple of days ago, and we were talking about people who go into the Negative Zone.

We are all only human, and there are times when we're sad, angry, confused, lost, overwhelmed, depressed, traumatized, scared, worried, etc - emotions that are or can be categorised as negative ones. While these need to be addressed, going into the Negative Zone is when these emotions consume us. Instead of moving forward, finding a solution or having closure, we stay stuck.

• Do you tend to go into a Negative Zone, or have people ever mentioned that maybe you could be a bit more positive or optimist?

• Do you tend to find something wrong with everything that is happening to you? Are you never satisfied with your life, the people in your life, with accomplishments and with you yourself?

• Do you find it difficult to let go of the things that didn't go well, do you need to analyze and re-analyze things, and do you need to talk and talk again about these?

• What are the signs that you are in the Negative Zone?

• How do you stop yourself?

• If you frequently find yourself

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-24-2010 - 6:28pm
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 4:39am

I really like that picture of the vortex created by the passage created by an aircraft wing.

The definition on wikipedia is good:

A vortex (plural: vortices) is a
spinning, often turbulent, flow of fluid. Any spiral motion with closed streamlines is vortex flow. The motion of the fluid swirling rapidly around a center is called a vortex. The speed and rate of rotation of the fluid are greatest at the center, and decrease progressively with distance from the center.

It makes sense that when we are in the centre of the vortex (of negativity in our case), it's difficult for us to stay grounded and keep positive since the speed and rate of rotation of the fluid (for us, the negativity) is the greatest there. We're just overwhelmed. The trick is to gradually move to the outer edges...

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 4:57am

• Do you tend to go into a Negative Zone, or have people ever mentioned that maybe you could be a bit more positive or optimist?

I do go into a Negative Zone, but only for a few moments (we're talking a few hours here). Then the pragmatic side of me takes over and I look for a solution. I go into the NZ big time when financial issues are triggered. I won't moan, groan, rant or vent. I stay quiet and become depressed.

• Do you tend to find something wrong with everything that is happening to you? Are you never satisfied with your life, the people in your life, with accomplishments and with you yourself?

No, that's not me.

• Do you find it difficult to let go of the things that didn't go well, do you need to analyze and re-analyze things, and do you need to talk and talk again about these?

No, I analyze, make a conclusion then move on. When it has to do with my love life I can linger longer and analyze more but I've learned to step away from this kind of behaviour.

I become anxious. I have a short temper tantrum. I become very controlling, and am angry when things don't go the way I want it to.

I remind myself that it isn't good for me and it's unfair for those around me.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 11:01am

• My mom always used to tell me to not be so negative.

• I used to be that way, but as I get older I'm finding more satisfaction and I'm happier with myself.

• I do analyze/reanalyze things.

• I'm not sure--- maybe my inability to fall asleep sometimes.

• Try to think of something positive.

• iVillage Member
    Mon, 03-29-2010 - 10:20pm

Photobucket

iVillage Member
    Tue, 03-30-2010 - 1:56pm

Do you tend to go into a Negative Zone, or have people ever mentioned that maybe you could be a bit more positive or optimist?
    There was a study done many years ago. Ppl may not be as negative as you think. For instance, if someone says, "I will never find a good job." It IS possible that they won't. Maybe there aren't any good jobs. Maybe the economy is bad. The article said that some ppl were *realists.* I am a *realist.* That's my story & I'm stickin' to it:)

Do you tend to find something wrong with everything that is happening to you? Are you never satisfied with your life, the people in your life, with accomplishments and with you yourself?
    It's everyone else, NOT me! LOL

Do you find it difficult to let go of the things that didn't go well, do you need to analyze and re-analyze things, and do you need to talk and talk again about these?
    I don't talk & talk about them. I sure do analyze & re-analyze in my busy OCD head.

What are the signs that you are in the Negative Zone?
    I get really tired.

How do you stop yourself?
    Taking a nap helps. Finding another activity I enjoy doing to distract myself.

If you frequently find yourself in the Negative Zone, do you have an inkling of what lies beneath all this negativity?
    I certainly have had negative spells, but I try to move on. I'm sure there are underlying reasons. I try not to dwell on the past. Mindfulness & living in the present is best. There is always a reason. I am careful not to make it an excuse.

Do you live or know people who tend to be sucked into the Vortex of Negativity and No Satisfaction? How do you deal with them?
    Yes. I listen & make little comment. They aren't good for me to be around. I have a close gf who doesn't like anyone, including herself. She's draining. I am loyal to her because she has been loyal to me. We grew up together & have many things in common. What sets her apart is her sense of humor among all this negativity. I can joke her out of the moods & she is quick to come back w/her wit. That makes up for the negativity.

gem21uk

iVillage Member
    Wed, 03-31-2010 - 8:03am

You've certainly steered yourself in the right directly since you don't come across as a negative person at all, Amy. I am glad to hear that you are finding satisfaction and that you are happier with yourself. Personally, I think that is one of the blessings of growing up and growing older.

iVillage Member
    Wed, 03-31-2010 - 8:25am
    I have to remind myself of my good qualities and accomplishments.

That is one very good way to help us maintain balance and come back into neutral if not into the positive zone. I was working on my CV/resume one day, and whilst I was filling in the job responsibilities part for each job that I had held, it dawned on me that I had achieved a lot and that I had acculumated a lot of skills, too. I'd forgotten about all of these things or had discounted their value.

Your husband's answer made me smile. I also do it, but then I remind myself all the reasons why this worst case scenario will not happen and I think how I can prevent it from happening. Then I concentrate on what needs to be done.

I've had to limit contact with negative people or those who are in a negative zone. As you said, it's draining. If they've used up the negative quota I've alloted for them, they have to wait until I have more energy availabe.

I hope that you will figure out why you don't want to do any races.

iVillage Member
    Wed, 03-31-2010 - 8:38am

You are right, a lot of people are not a negative as one might think, and I know people whose lives are extremely difficult. People who are in the vortex are different though, don't you think?

I agree that it's important to not make the reason why we're being negative an excuse. Sometime, though, we need to look back and address some issues in order to get rid of negative patterns that keep on coming back.

Having a sense of humor amid the negativity is a blessing!