Dealing with compliments

iVillage Member
Dealing with compliments
Thu, 04-15-2010 - 11:44pm

Mark Twain once said: "When you cannot get a compliment any other way, pay yourself one."

I am sure that people are giving you compliments every day, but are you accepting them and keeping them as precious gems or do you bat them off you?

Do you feel uncomfortable when someone pays you a compliment? Why?

What are some of the compliments given to you recently?

What compliment would you give yourself right now?

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 1:32am

Great Questions Poppy!

I am sure that people are giving you compliments every day, but are you accepting them and keeping them as precious gems or do you bat them off you? I gratefully accept them! At one time in my life when I was in my 20's, I would not accept compliments. I say something like, Oh well I need to lose more weight or my outfit isn't that special. Now I smile and say "Thank You". I am sincere about accepting the compliments.

Do you feel uncomfortable when someone pays you a compliment? Why? No I dont' feel uncomfortable at all.

What are some of the compliments given to you recently? Wenesday a co-worker said she told her mom she wanted what I have. That I am calm and peaceful at work. Which is one of the greatest compliments ever! I try to tell people at work to not stress out about certain, things, especially what you cannot control. It's a job, but it isn't your entire life.God willing, I will not be there beyond a year longer. Even, though I try to enough myself.

What compliment would you give yourself right now? Living out the peace, joy and greatness God has blessed me with! It's the everyday life that matters. The present and making the most of our time. I have been doing a great job of that! I use my time and energy for things that matter the most to me now. I've got everything I need to live a good life! I got it!

Hotcarmel

Chelle-

Amour-Propre

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-19-2010 - 11:43am

I am sure that people are giving you compliments every day, but are you accepting them and keeping them as precious gems or do you bat them off you? === I suspect I tend to bat them off... You know, how I was raised, always have an "oh, no, it wasn't that big a deal" response

Do you feel uncomfortable when someone pays you a compliment? Why? === I do and I think it's because I prefer to NOT be noticed.

What are some of the compliments given to you recently? === My DH is the one who compliments me most... lately he has made some nice comments about my stitchery, and one day two weeks ago, he got out all the cards I had made for him (he SAVED them!) and showed them off to a friend of his!

What compliment would you give yourself right now? === can't really think of one as I haven't been doing anything worthy of compliment in several weeks...

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-19-2010 - 1:20pm

I am sure that people are giving you compliments every day, but are you accepting them and keeping them as precious gems or do you bat them off you?

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-19-2010 - 8:02pm

cl-flowers

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-19-2010 - 10:24pm

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 10:31am

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 11:33am

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 2:02am

Most of us are taught to be modest, and perhaps that's why many find it difficult to accept compliments - because acknowledging these would be immodest. I am glad that you've been able to accept compliments coming from others.

That's a very beautiful compliments that your co-worker gave you.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 2:07am

Maybe when someone gives you a compliment you can just accept it, then try to see you from their eyes. Take a couple of steps away from your feelings and thoughts, then look at you from the eyes of the person who gave you the compliment.

You might discover yourself in this way, too.

Either you are turning into a clean freak or your STBX made more of a mess than you think he did.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 2:11am

This might sound weird, but your post made me smile because it sounded very much like you. You are very honest yet also just about yourself. And sure about who you are and where you stand, too!

Pages