• Very rarely
  • Never

• Other

You will be able to change your vote.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 10:40am

Are you a competitive person... or not?

Do you thrive when you are competing, or does it scare you or stress you out?

Are you a closet competitive person?

Who do you compete with?

If you aren't competitive, how do you deal with people are and need to be competitive?

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 2:57pm
I'm probably the least competitive person in the world. I think a lot of that probably comes from my family situation, where I realized that no matter how hard I tried I could never compete with my brother. He was number one in my parents' lives and would always be and there wasn't anything that I could do about it. I also realized that there wasn't anything that I could do that would outshine him and get my parents' attention. So that kind of ended my competitive streak. When others around me are competitive, I just let them be and don't stress out over it. Some people are just that way and compete with others over every little thing. So I let them do it and go on about my own way.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 3:10am

I can see how parental attitude can shape, support or extinguish our natural competitiveness (or lack of it).

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 4:32am
I come from a family of musicians, but I couldn't compete with my brother in this, because I have no musical talent. I can sing, but I can't play an instrument (and I have tried). The one area where I could've competed with him was school, but he did just enough work to get by and education is not important in my family. Neither my parents nor my brother went beyond high school. I did shine when I went to college and was often on the Dean's List and graduated cum laude all three times (I have an Associate's and two Bachelor's), but that wasn't important to my family. It was, however, important to me. I guess then the person I was competing with was myself, wanting to make good grades, which I did. But, of course, my family sees my time in college as wasted, since I didn't do anything with my degrees. Education for education's sake is stupid and a waste of time, in the eyes of my family. Why go to school if it isn't going to land you a job?

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 9:51am
Not at all,
But my sons are, LOL
Must have gotten that from DH :)

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 1:06am
No way. I prefer not to compete! Lol!
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 12:24pm

Hello Everyone! Hope and pray all is well with everyone:) I am not competitive. Only when playing a game or something and I keep it in a fun perspective then. I am sort of in the same boat as Sister Honey, with the family situation. My family, I am the youngest of 12. 9 girls and 3 boys. Being around a lot of women can be good but as a girl it can also be bad. My sisters were always on a diet, always trying on my clothes without my permission and some even told me I wasn't beautiful. My family is very beautiful and people would always tell us I was the most beautiful. Being a teenager, I didn't quite understand it. And it did a major blow to my selfesteem as a teen girl.

Chelle-

Amour-Propre

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 2:44am

(((((((hugs)))))))

Has your brother not wanted to pursue some sort of tertiary education to get a better job or to get a promotion?

You need to move to Charleston asap!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 2:45am
Your husband is pretty competitive, then?

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 2:50am

I'm not that competitive, either. For me it's a question of standards, not winning.

Pages