• With certain things and/or certain people
  • Very rarely
  • Never

• Other

You will be able to change your vote.

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-25-2010 - 3:36am

Thanks Poppy! Getting past this was one of the major breakthroughs in my life. At the same time, I had let my fiancee go. He didn't want to be married and I had been with him for like 6 years! These were very painful times, but turned out to be the best for me! I love my family and I enjoy being with them. But I also put family in perspective. They mean alot to me, but I MEAN A LOT TO ME FIRST! Marriage, if it happens great, if it doesn't great. I enjoy my life and refuse to be miserable because I am single.

Hope you are having a great weekend:)

"You'll find that life is still worthwhile, if you just... SMILE!"-Charlie Chaplin/Performed by Michael Jackson,The greatest entertainer and humanitarian

Chelle-

Amour-Propre

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-24-2010 - 10:08am

I know that there are people who think like this - I've met some! It's a very defensive and suspicious attitude to have.

I know that there are a lot of people who have made something of themselves without the benefit of a formal education. Most of these people were determined, hard-working and had a resolve of steel when it came to bettering themselves and their condition especially for their children. What they don't have is the attitude that education gives one airs.

I see it everywhere here, but we're a developing country that has seen a lot of changes since Independence in 1945. Education was a priority, schools were built and people were encouraged to send their children to school. In colonial times, only a certain segment of the population had access to schools and schools were also segregated according to a person's position in society. The rest went to local/informal schools or learned at home.

While a 9-year education is now compulsory and public elementary schools theoretically free, there are many adults in their mid-20 and older who were forced to abandon their formal education at elementary school level because their families just couldn't afford to send them to school. They worked the fields until they were old enough to find work elsewhere, usually in the city. I know a handful of people who have put their children through tertiary education or at least get them to do some courses after they've finished high school.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 9:11am
Not as much now but years ago he was :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 4:04am
My brother recently got a promotion and now he's making $30,000 a year at the age of 54. I guess as long as he's making enough money to keep him stocked in booze and dope then he's happy. DH wants to get at least a Master's in accounting. He was looking at possibly working for the government, where he can get upwards of $70,000 a year and with some places and positions he can get almost $100,000 a year. I think that of my father's immediate family only I and one of my cousins has a degree. He's an attorney in Charleston, of all places. People say that he mainly did that in order to follow in his father's footsteps, since he was also a lawyer. But the family mantra, particularly for the men is "the military or a job." My father's side has been fighting in wars since the American Revolution. And they've been working that long as well. My great-grandfather who barely had a third grade education was a Confederate soldier during the Civil War. His farm was so far back in the woods that Sherman didn't destroy it on his march to the sea. So my great-grandfather sill had his farm and his land after the war and then he did other kinds of jobs. And he and his wife were able to produce 10 children and maintain a family life all without the benefit of education. The only education one of my uncles got was from the military academy, which later sent him off to Normandy on D-Day and then later to the Korean War. So you see? You can still make something of yourself without a well-rounded education. All an education does is give you airs and fill your head with useless nonsense.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 3:01am

Ouch! It sounds like some of your sisters had huge insecurities about their looks when you were all growing up, and that family members were being selfish during that cruise. I am glad that you got past that and that you are accepting yourself as your are and that you've moved on!

It's really good that you are teaching your nephews and nieces to be in healthy competition, to be secure in who they are and what they like as well as being accepting of how other people are and what they like! Those are lessons that will reverberate long into their lives.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 2:50am

I'm not that competitive, either. For me it's a question of standards, not winning.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 2:45am
Your husband is pretty competitive, then?

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 2:44am

(((((((hugs)))))))

Has your brother not wanted to pursue some sort of tertiary education to get a better job or to get a promotion?

You need to move to Charleston asap!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 12:24pm

Hello Everyone! Hope and pray all is well with everyone:) I am not competitive. Only when playing a game or something and I keep it in a fun perspective then. I am sort of in the same boat as Sister Honey, with the family situation. My family, I am the youngest of 12. 9 girls and 3 boys. Being around a lot of women can be good but as a girl it can also be bad. My sisters were always on a diet, always trying on my clothes without my permission and some even told me I wasn't beautiful. My family is very beautiful and people would always tell us I was the most beautiful. Being a teenager, I didn't quite understand it. And it did a major blow to my selfesteem as a teen girl.

Chelle-

Amour-Propre

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 1:06am
No way. I prefer not to compete! Lol!

Pages