On Relationships

iVillage Member
On Relationships
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 3:00am

Some thing to think about this week. Please share with us your thoughts!

How would you define your ideal relationship?

What are you looking for in a/your relationship?

How necessary is a relationship?

Is it really worth it?

Do we need a relationship in order to live a happy and fulfilled life?

Do we need one in order to meet our full potential as a person (ie to complete ourselves)?

Are there times when it’s better for us to be on our own?

What has your relationship(s) brought you?

What has/have your relationship(s) cost you?

If you are currently not in a relationship, how much do you want or need to be in one?

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 3:02am

No takers?

There are no right or wrong answers...

Community Leader
Sun, 04-25-2010 - 11:33pm

How would you define your ideal relationship?..."Ideal"...mmm...don't think/know about this one...come back to it later.

What are you looking for in a/your relationship?...honesty...trust... are very important to me. Loyalty...

How necessary is a relationship?...currently not in one...

Is it really worth it?...yes, it can be...

Do we need a relationship in order to live a happy and fulfilled life?...I don't believe everyone does and I think it can change for ALL of depending on where we are and want we want/need at that specific time in our LIFE.
I would LOVE one but would not "settle" for the sake of having one.

Do we need one in order to meet our full potential as a person (ie to complete ourselves)?...I believe it's again individual...I would rather look at it as "complimenting" one another than completing.

Are there times when it’s better for us to be on our own?...Maybe not better but necessary...

What has your relationship(s) brought you?...Joy and Sorrow...

What has/have your relationship(s) cost you?...ALMOST my LIFE...

If you are currently not in a relationship, how much do you want or need to be in one?...for me personally I want one but don't need one.

Nightangel

Edited 5/5/2010 2:53 pm ET by nightangel67
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 11:21am

I'll give these a try, I may not have answers for every question though.

How would you define your ideal relationship? I'm not sure there is an "ideal" relationship.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 12:46pm

How would you define your ideal relationship? === communication is critical

What are you looking for in a/your relationship? === companionship

How necessary is a relationship? === I think one has to have at least ONE person in one's life that one can rely pon in a crisis, that one can share good times with, etc. so IMO a relationship of one kind or another is critical

Is it really worth it? === yes

Do we need a relationship in order to live a happy and fulfilled life? === *I* think so, but it doesn't have to be a sexual relationship

Do we need one in order to meet our full potential as a person (ie to complete ourselves)? === I think so

Are there times when it’s better for us to be on our own? === yes (at least for me, there are...)

What has your relationship(s) brought you? === a sense of security

What has/have your relationship(s) cost you? === a little bit of identity (I HATE being known only as someone's SO as opposed to myself...)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 3:08pm

How would you define your ideal relationship? That's a hard one--will have to think more. I'm not sure there is an ideal.

What are you looking for in a/your relationship? Respect for and acceptance of who I am is a biggie.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 4:36pm
How would you define your ideal relationship? Is there such a thing an an ideal relationship?

What are you looking for in a/your relationship? I'm married to a very supportive man. We have trust and faith in one another and we know that we are each other's best friend.

How necessary is a relationship? I don't think a relationship with a man is very important, but with

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 5:03pm

I wanted to take some time to think over my answers to your questions, so here goes.

How would you define your ideal relationship?
One in which I was accepted completely as who and what I am, where there were shared goals for the future, where there was love, passion and intimacy, where there was open communication and open-mindedness, where there was security and stability

I have what I want, so I'm not really looking for anything

How necessary is a relationship?
I don't think that relationships are necessary for everyone. People can live quite well without them.

Is it really worth it?
I think so.

Do we need a relationship in order to live a happy and fulfilled life?
No, we don't.

Do we need one in order to meet our full potential as a person (ie to complete ourselves)?
No, we don't.

Are there times when it’s better for us to be on our own?
Yes.

What has your relationship(s) brought you?
They've taught me to be strong and to be able to stand on my own two feet.

What has/have your relationship(s) cost you?
A lot of pain and heartache

If you are currently not in a relationship, how much do you want or need to be in one?
N/A

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 9:00am
How would you define your ideal relationship? My ideal relationship would be just like the one I am in with my DH, he is my soulmate and I have felt connected to him since day one, he makes me laugh, and is wonderful, ideally I would like him to be more sensitive to different aspects of people's feelings but that is just not him, or any man that my friends/family is married to... Yes, I took a poll. LOL! =)

What are you looking for in a/your relationship? Big love, laughter, a best friend, trust, honesty, all of these I have.

How necessary is a relationship? For me, I wouldn't want to not be in this relationship.

Is it really worth it? Oh yes, so worth it.

Do we need a relationship in order to live a happy and fulfilled life? I don't think everyone needs one, but I would say it is nice to share a happy and fulfilled life with someone.