Idealist or Realist?

iVillage Member
Idealist or Realist?
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 3:32pm
Hello everyone,
So I am highly introverted with an idealist persona and I wouldn't change it for anything in the world.
I enjoy being alone sometimes. I am wondering: idealist or realist, which one are you?
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 8:07pm
I'm very much a realist. A suicide attempt, physical abuse, a murder attempt by my ex, the death of a good friend from addiction, plus other incidents has cured me of all idealism. I wish that I could be an optimist and see the world in an idealistic light like I used to, but I just can't do it anymore.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 3:08am

I am... hhmm... I am a realist who keep an eye on what would happen if we were in an ideal world, then try to do my best. I know that I probably won't reach that and that people (myself included) will behave the way they do. So that probably makes me a Make The Best Out Of It-ist ;-)

Like what Sisterhoney said, too many things have happened to have lead me away from being an idealist.

I love socializing with people and finding out about them, yet I also need a lot of alone time, too. I can spend days alone and be happy. I can probably be a hermit and be happy, but I also like interacting with people. People are interesting. They enrich my life and my experiences. They highly amuse me, too.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 4:10am
I could be a hermit as long as I had some pets with me, since I understand animals so much more than people. I really think the reason why I spend so much time communicating with others online is because that way I'm able to take people in small doses. If I get really angry or upset with someone online, all I have to do is click a button and that person is gone. He's been put on ignore in the chat room or banned from my e-mail account and then I don't have to deal with him again. Unfortunately that doesn't happen that way in real life.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 10:30am
Hello,
I am very introverted. I love being alone, so I can relate to some degree. I've been through very difficult times also, and shouldn't be an idealist, but I am. My ideal world is usually kept inside. Especially when I leave my home to enter "reality."
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-24-2010 - 10:11am

Are you shy also, Sweetbeauty?

My father was introverted in the sense that he didn't say a lot and he could also keep himself very happy alone with his books, his violin and his flute. But one thing that he wasn't was shy. When he needed to get out there, he got out there!

What kind of idealist are you? When you go into the "real" world, it is difficult for you to seen the disparity between your idealism and the reality of how people and the world are?

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-24-2010 - 10:20am

I think that for many people animals are much more easier to understand and love than humans.

Today I was reading about some extremely horrible and violent people in the UK - the kind who make me embarrassed to be of the same species as them. :::Poppy shudders:::

That said, while I admire animals I am not an animal person like you, so you'll probably find me all alone somewhere. I just want to be a hermit with comforts in my "hut" LOL!!

Well, when you move two individuals will effectively be out of your life :-)

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-25-2010 - 4:14am

I am both depending on the situation. The main question I ask myself: "Is this worth my time&energy?" So things are catorgerized accordingly.

Work: Realist. Right now the paycheck of course is important. I have been there 6 years and sucessful. However, it is not fulfulling. To me I do just enough to keep the job. But to the company, I am a top employee. I am very good at what I do. I don't waste a lot of time on certain people there and stay mostly professional. I have a few friends there, but I am not hurting for anyones' validation there. This job isn't very family friendly. Which is one of the reasons I am taking steps to becoming a teacher and runing my own business.

Family:Realist and Optimist. I love my family and enjoy being with them. Especially the little ones. But, I have to detach myself from my certain

Chelle-

Amour-Propre

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 8:22pm
Hello,
I am an internal idealistic.
There are aspect of my life that I try my hardest to keep separate so that they don't interfere in any respect.
My expectations are usually kept internal, so that elliminates my hurt feelings.
I use to devote a lot of time and effort towards my friendships, but recently I've decided to put forth energy into areas that are worthwhile. I love spending time alone and recently, I've fully accepted my persona and personal preferences.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 8:26pm
Hello,
I apologize for my failure and answering the prior question. Yes, I am shy in some respect. I am not too assertive and prefer to discuss my feelings on a one-on-one basis.
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 2:09am

Hey Sweet,

What are you focusing your energies on now?

I'm pretty shy, too, in real life but it also depends on the circumstances!

Have a great week!