Is your (online) privacy a huge conce...

iVillage Member
Is your (online) privacy a huge conce...
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 1:46pm

Is your (online) privacy a huge concern for you?

• Yes, and I am very careful about what I share and post online
  • Yes, but I probably need to be more careful
  • Yes, but I am not sure how to safeguard my privacy
  • Sometimes, but not always
  • No, not at all. I don't see what harm sharing my info can do
  • No, because I'm careful
  • I don't care
  • Huh?
  • Other

You will be able to change your vote.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 12:05am
I try to keep info sharing to a minimum, but it's all to easy to forget especially on FB or on message boards where there's a whole community of online friends we've known for a few years. We forget that the boards are open and public!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 2:42am
I try to be careful, but it's all too easy for us to slack off on that. It was brought home to me on Wednesday night's episode of "Criminal Minds," where a man was invading women's homes and was doing a live video feed online. He was getting his victims from social networking sites. It showed how out of control your friends lists and networking contacts can get. Yes, I realize that this was a TV show, but these things can happen in real life (like that one medical school student in Boston that was arrested for murdering women he found from Craigslist).
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 7:29am

I saw that episode of Criminal Minds and it drives home how sick some people are and how easy for some people to advantage of innocent people...

Susan

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 9:51am
I saw it too,
Scary & maks one think :)
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 9:52am
I said yes,
Yes, and I am very careful about what I share and post online ..
Am very weary of it all :)
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-22-2010 - 4:28pm

I always have an alias name online. Up until this year, I never had a FB page. It just really isn't my thing. I was using my real name because I thought only people who knew me would have access. Then I started getting friend request from "friends of Friends" and co-workers. Some of these co-workers are lower level managers at my job. I have worked with them many years before they became managers and I turned the job down. It is a very stressful job. I changed my name totally and only give out to basically family now. Some people think it is ok to say bad things about their employers online. I refused to participate in that type of conversation on FB, as people are known to get fired over something stupid like that. I still do regular email and mail cards and things out to people. Anybody that wants to get a hold of me will call me. Which I like that personal connection and hearing their voice better:)

hotcarmel

"Life ain't so bad at all, Livin' off the wall"-Michael Joseph Jackson Greatest entertainer and humantarian of all time

Chelle-

Amour-Propre

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 7:26pm

Welcome to the board, Susan.

I haven't seen that episode of Criminal Minds, but yes there are a lot of people with twisted minds out there. Sometimes what we see on screen is so utterly out there that we think it couldn't happen in real life. Unfortunately I've seen, heard or read about things happening in real life that if it were made into a book or movie would make people say that the writer was too imaginative!

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 7:32pm

A lot of people think that friends of friends should be okay, but many on FB have a lot of friends not because they are outgoing and know a lot of people but because they ace trying to get as many friends as possible. I've had requests from total strangers with whom I don't share a common friend and whom I've never met.

On FB, my information is kept to a minimum. There's no address, no birth date, no preferences, nothing. Only friends can see my info. A couple of people are banned (and did you know that if you ban someone not only they can't see you anywhere on FB, you can't see them either?), and at the end of the week I will have lists. My life is an open book, but only for a select few.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 7:35pm
We should be. Adults, teens and children need to learn about why it's important to keep one's information to oneself.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 7:43pm

I know a few who use a different name for close family and friends, and another one for the public in general.

Have you rejigged the privacy options on your FB so that only friends can see your information, photos, etc? If you don't, it's totally public and FB will allow search engines to find you and thus display your name should someone type your name on a search engine.

You can also make lists on FB. That is, you make lists of friends and decide which list of people can see your posts and photos and which others only have restricted access.

Ranting about the job and one's superiors are very stupid things, IMHO. It just gets back to management. And if you are looking for a job or going to a new school, recruiters and HR managers look through the social networking sites.

Pages