Do a woman's breasts grow in their 20s

iVillage Member
Do a woman's breasts grow in their 20s
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 11:56pm

Hello everyone,

I've been around this site and the messageboards, either posting, reading or replying. It's been such a great place!

Lol, anyway, I wasn't sure where to ask this question so I picked here. I was wondering does a young female in her early 20s still have growth in her breasts? I feel as if mine have shaped or filled a bit more. Not so intensely, but enough for me to realize it. I'm not sure, they just seem different and I'm not on my period. Mine just ended a few days ago.

Any suggestions?

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 6:38am

Hey there!

Welcome to this board, Giggle! ;-)

You know, I am not quite sure at which age they stop growing. I've asked a fellow CL to drop by since I am pretty sure the she would know. She is very knowledgeable about these things!

Breasts do change during the menstrual cycle and also because of weight. Weight gain or loss won't only change the band size but perhaps also the cup. I am glad that you are enjoying the site and the message boards! It's a great way to meet a lot of different people who we wouldn't normally meet let alone chat with in real life!

Talk to you soon,

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 7:39am
Hi Giggle, I'm Nenu. Poppy asked me to come by and try and answer your questions.

As Poppy told you, breast size is affected during our monthly cycle, due to changing levels of hormones. I wonder if what you have observed and described as "shaped or filled a bit more" is due to that, and isn't really growth? From what I've read, a woman's breasts stop actually growing by the time she is 18, but that isn't the same as changing size and shape. Is that confusing enough yet?

What are your periods like? Do they follow a regular 28 day cycle, for example? Are they quite painful, and are your breasts sensitive in the time leading up to and during your period? Have you noticed any changes in that respect? Have you noticed any discharge from the nipples? What about your weight; have you gained any weight recently? Our breasts will become larger if we put on weight.

If you continue to notice changes that seem unusual, I would recommend that you see your doctor and be checked out. Keep track of your cycle and note the changes that are happening to your breasts, and the time frame when they happen.

In the meantime, here's a link to a web site that has some very good basic information about breasts. You might want to read what is there, and find out more about them.

Breast Anatomy and Physiology

Photobucket

Basking in the wonder of spring...

Edited 5/24/2010 2:27 pm ET by nenuphar_19
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 12:37am

Thank you both! That information helped and I will keep more track of my cycles. And, actually, my periods are irregular I think. I some times can guess when it may be that time of the month; however, it changes on me. I missed the whole month of april and finally had it last week. It was more intense then usual, I started out with random emotional outbursts, crying. Later on continued with the bloating, chest growth and cramps. What was different also is that it was very light in the beginning, for a day it was heavy, then it ended up being very light for the rest.

Now with it ended over the weekend, on saturday. I still feel this 'pain' in my breasts, like growing pains or something along those lines. Almost like a tenderness but nothing extreme, its just there.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 7:37am

Hi Giggle,

In my personal experience, breasts will be tender and engorged when I am PMS-ing (and my whole body becomes bloated) and it'll take a few days to go back to normal.

Keeping track of your period is a good idea, especially if you are irregular. I've downloaded a menstrual cycle tracker onto my iPod Touch, and it's been easier for me to track it and to track my mood a few days before, too. You'll be able to see if your first day of your menses is light, second day heavy, etc so that if the pattern changes, you'll know.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 12:10pm
Thanks! I already knew about the bloating during the pms.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 9:16am
It's really amazing how our bodies change and adapt, isn't it?

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 12:31pm

Ah, yes. It's really intriguing how evolution has really changed humanity throughout time. (If you may look at it from that perspective.) From how we grow from a small-multi cell to this grand, massive figure walking, communicating, everything. Ha, it's interesting once you stop and observe. Some people may say that evolution takes forever for change to happen; however, with some things it might not take as long as we think. Although in areas with health, environment, even emotional, the adapting that is proceeding may not have the best outcome.

Lol, rambling..

Edited 5/26/2010 12:35 pm ET by gigglexone