Wednesday wins and winners

iVillage Member
Wednesday wins and winners
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 1:18pm

This Wednesday let's share stories of a person (or two or three or more) whom you consider as winners in your book. It can be someone close to you, someone you've admired even though you don't know them personally, a public or historical figure or even a fictional character.

Tell us why they are winners and how they've inspired you to be the best version of yourself.

Bonus question: tell us about one time you won something. You can interpret this in any way that you want.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-05-2010 - 10:32am

There are so many people that I know who are winners, in so many different way.

My mother's cousin is one. When she was in her fifties, her husband left her for a much younger woman. During the 20-something years of their married life, he had taken care of everything including payment of all the bills. She didn't have to work, though there were some of her husband's work-related activities she had to see to, and she was a stay-at-home mother. She had never worked outside the home in her life, she didn't have an idea on how the outside world worked and suddenly she had no husband, no income, teenagers to bring up, feed and send to school. What had been viewed as a loving gesture by her husband (who took care of everything) turned out to be a poisoned gift when she was on her on since she had a steep learning curve.

But she did it. She managed to build a house on a piece of land that she owned, and rented that. From there she slowly managed to get another house built and rented out. She learned how and where to pay her bills, opened her own bank accounts. She sent her kids to college, saw them get married. She became her own person.

The vegetable man in our neighbourhood is another winner. We still have ambulant merchants here. Our vegetable man has been walking through the neighbourhood with his vegetables, fresh chicken, fish, fruit and snacks for over 30 years now. By 9 am he is at the corner of our street. He wasn't even married when he first started. He and his wife adopted a daughter, whom he has sent to college. He himself didn't go past grade 6 - there was no money, and he had to help his parents out. Life has not always been easy for him - he has had two light strokes - and yet he's always there at the corner of the street, smiling, helpful, patient.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 10:36am

My winner has been my DH because he ha managed to take a bout with depression, alcohol-and-drug dependence and attempted suicide, topped off with prostate cancer and unplanned early retirement, and turned himself into a person who not only lives well and happily, but has more self-respect for himself than ever before!

Me, I've never won anything except the odd door prize at a Saudi expat dinner ( a coffee mug once, a set of salad servers another time)!

CL for "

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 7:16am

Yes, he really deserves a huge star. He not only overcame all that - each of which are difficult to overcome - but he's also become a very talented and prize-winning Master Gardener.

I think I win something big every twenty years. I won a boom box twenty years ago, then a trip to Singapore recently. In between, it has been travel size tissues and pens (from the pharmacy.) Oh, I did win a PDA about twenty years ago.