Not Enough Hours

iVillage Member
Not Enough Hours
Sun, 06-06-2010 - 4:09pm
Do you ever feel that the twenty four hours of the day are simply not enough, or are you one of the blessed women who found a way to balance seven spinning plates? If so I salute you and ask you to share your tips with us all. If you are struggling to find the time to look after one or more aspects of your busy life, then share your story with us and let's see if we can, together, find an answer!

Photobucket

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
In reply to: suffy_78
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 7:03am

IMHO, I think there isn't really one formula-fits-all, nor one that fits all the time. Some people like to work more, some like to play more. Sometimes we need to work more, sometimes we have more time to play.

Right now, I just make sure that I don't overload my days with too many things to do. It means being realistic about what I can do and how much time each item on my to-do list will need. If I can only do two things, then two things it is for that day but knowing that I've worked well and done my best.

Also, because I am able to, I tend to spread out my work and play during my whole waking hours. Right now I am here - play time! - but I might go back to work in a couple of hours when all is quiet, when I'm more mellow. I'll use that time to do more cerebral work ~ research, writing, etc.

My friends and I also have a Wednesday drinks night. Not all of us can make it each week, and some weeks we just don't have it because too many people are away or busy but when we can we meet after work to have drinks and dinner together. We've been doing this for nearly a year and I think about 80% of the time we've had our Wednesday night drinks. It's a good way to unwind and catch-up.

I'll also sneak off to have a nap when I can, or have a massage, get my hair done, get a manicure and pedicure. I hate to admit this, but I am happy with the smartphone since it means that I can still monitor my work email whilst I am out of the office. Today, I was talking to a potential client whilst I was in a cab, and later on I was emailing other clients whilst on the way back. Which is why I can be online now.

Last week I met someone who woke up at 3 to prepare her daily newsletters, is on the treadmill at 4.30 am (she and her husband have two treadmills side-by-side) and then she works, does errands, meets people, etc. When her husband comes home, she stops working. They have dinner, watch TV, catch up. By 8 pm she's in bed. That works for her!