I'm stuck, please help!

iVillage Member
I'm stuck, please help!
Sun, 06-13-2010 - 3:32pm

I am currently working 40+ hours per week and I have been at the same job for 5 years.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-17-2010 - 8:26pm

Dear sncsmommy....

I know where you are coming from. I have personally been there and many of my friends

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 9:00pm

Welcome to the board, Sncsmommy.

April29th gave you some really good suggestions.

If the company isn't a good fit, do you think that in the same career, similar job but different company you would thrive? Sometimes our dissatisfaction comes not because we're unhappy with the job itself, but we're unhappy with the company.

If you would like to go something else, try listing all the skills and responsibilities that you have at work and also outside of work. Now, sort these out into three categories - like, neutral, dislike. Grade each of them on a scale of 0 to 10 (on the like and neutral, 0= "I don't care for it at all" and 10= "I love it!" whereas for dislike the dislike category, 0-"I really like it" and 10="I absolutely loathe it".) Don't forget to put down things such as working in a team, working alone, interacting with colleagues, interacting with clients, etc. Now reorder the item on your lists, starting with the things you graded highest to lowest. It'll give you a clear visual of what you enjoy and what you do not like. You can also evaluate your proficiency for each to have a clear visual on what you are strong at and the areas where you struggle most.

Struggling with something even though you like it very much doesn't mean that you should abandon it, it would mean that you would need to work on these skills.

When you apply April29th suggestion - what did you want to do when you were younger, what secret careers do you dream of or what fields you are interested in, look at your evaluation. Do they match or not?

Maybe you could look at the sector instead of the job proper. Just as an example. You might be creative, interested in food but don't want to work in a restaurant kitchen 15 hours a day. There are other jobs related to food. If you are visually creative, you can be a food photographer. Or you can be a food stylist. You can establish a catering company that only does lunches, or maybe one that only delivers dinners. Or you can be a private chef. Or you can teach cooking.

If you are still having difficulty, there are good books out there for people who want to make a career change. You can also see a career consultant or a life coach.

Let us know how you are doing, and what you are contemplating! A lot of people are in the same situation as you.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-13-2010 - 8:59pm

What did you like to do when you were younger? What do you do in your free time? Did you ever dream of being/doing something, but put it on the back burner? I think those are the areas you should look into. Take a class in something that interests you. Volunteer in your dream field. You want to get a feel for something, and be sure there are opportunities before you leave your current job in these trying times.

Best of luck!

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.