How has the Pill made a difference?

iVillage Member
How has the Pill made a difference?
Mon, 07-05-2010 - 5:02am
How Has the Pill Made a Difference in Our Lives?

In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Pill, five accomplished and influential women came together to reflect on the remarkable achievements of women since the introduction of the first birth control pill in 1960. During this intimate conversation, Academy Award winner Hilary Swank; feminist and journalist Gloria Steinem; historian and author Elaine Tyler May; founder and owner of Dermalogica Jane Wurwand; and notable professor and ObGyn Diana Ramos, MD, shared their unique insights about this medical and cultural landmark.

Click here to view the videos, and please share with us how the Pill has made a difference in your own life.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-05-2010 - 6:12pm

I have been on the pill on and off since I was about 18. So here is my 2 cents:

1)IT is only 50% effective, if not taken correctly. You start missing pills, you have 50/50 chance of getting pregnant. IN highschool several of my classmates got pregnant as teens. I didn't because I took mine like clockwork everyday. They didn't. I know of several grown women, friends, who got pregnant on the pill also.

2)It is great period regulator. I have been regular with my cycles since taking it.

Yes it is great when it first came out. But, it is one of many options available to women today. Which I am grateful for.

hotcarmel

"Life ain't so bad at all, Livin' off the wall"-Michael Joseph Jackson Greatest entertainer and humantarian of all time

Chelle-

Amour-Propre

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-06-2010 - 5:41am

In theory the effectiveness of the Pill is 96 to 99% but in real life it is only 87% effective because people forget, don't take them at the same time every day, or skip days.

As you said, it's a good thing that there are many contraceptive options these days including different kinds of pills, condoms (both male and female), IUDs, patches, cervical caps, etc.