Self Centered

iVillage Member
Self Centered
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 6:00pm

Do you know someone who is self centered or have you ever encountered one?

How did their attitude effect you? and if it did not, how did you protect yourself from it?

Do you find that more people are being self centered due to the economic situation that we are in or is it the other way round?

Photobucket

Photobucket 

Community Leader
In reply to: suffy_78
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 10:37am
This is a really good question...
I think there are some people who are just like this not worrying about anyone else but themselves...honestly I am finding men to be more like this.
Last night a guy friend of mine called me up asked if I would like to go for a tea...then I paid for BOTH of us...
This happened to me Canada Day to!
What gives?
I have no problem paying my "own" way but theirs to, it's like I feel like I am being taken advantage of.
I don't have any more money than they do probably less and I support my ds to...
I know the economy has people scared but as women I think we tend to be the care-takers, the nurturers.
I know that my ds expects more from me than my dd so do other males in my Life but that's going to change, to stop because I am learning to be a bit more selfish, a bit more self-centered.
<3
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 11:02am
Please let me first state my position:

I think that we are all, to a degree, self-centered. It's healthy to be so, up to a point. Otherwise, it would be difficult to survive and stay or be who we are supposed to be because we're always thinking or doing for others. I am also very suspicious of people who *always* put the needs and interests of others especially if they trumpet this loudly. (Yes, I am in a very sarcastic mood today.)

That said, yes, I do know people who take self-centeredness to new levels, in good and bad ways.

How did their attitude effect you? and if it did not, how did you protect yourself from it? I put down my boundaries. I try to see where my own interests lie, see where things intersect and where things don't. I give them the time of day when things intersect and I go off doing my own things when they don't. I am not at the beck and call of others. But I don't expect people to follow what I want or to take my feelings into consideration, either. If they do it's a bonus. If they don't, I'm already doing what I should be doing.

Do you find that more people are being self centered due to the economic situation that we are in or is it the other way round? People who are self-centered will be self-centered whatever the situation. Dire economic situation might force a lot of people to take actions that are more about self-preservation, and that's different from being self-centered.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 5:24am
I don't think you are being selfish, I think you just need to put yourself and your needs first, make them a priority which is something that a LOT of women fail to do, myself included....

Photobucket

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 5:29am

I should have made it clear

Photobucket 

Community Leader
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 12:23pm
~hugs~
Thanks!
Last night a guy friend of mine said maybe him and I could do something last night...maybe something different...I thought "Wow"...kwim?
He never called, didn't really surprise me...I tend to do my own thing, don't find men in my Life are ALL that dependable or reliable.
So this morning he calls wonders if I want to go for coffee...cynical thinks am I paying?...is that why you are asking?...or is it to "SPITE" someone else...not too sure so I pass saying my ds and I had been through a bit of a scare...he's laughing...okay it's not THAT funny.
Our power went out...later on FIRE ALARMS are going off so my ds and I think it's the "REAL" deal so WE evacuate our apt and our building...this is scary sh*t we had a fire about two years ago and since then lots of stuff like our cat dying and I had a heart attack, lost my job...a lot to go through...meanwhile he's "laughing"...not too impressed so I said no thanks!...going to hang out with my ds a little bit longer make sure he's okay...God how self-centered is this guy?
He's a Momma's Boy!
Even with his own Mom he's a bit self-centered...she does everything for him but it's like he takes it for granted, expects it even.
Sad.

Edited 7/18/2010 2:22 am ET by nightangel67
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-18-2010 - 5:34pm
Good that you know that he is into himself right now and before you get sucked into a relationship with him. Good for you!

Photobucket

Photobucket 

Community Leader
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 1:57pm

Thanks ever so much!

I am learning...;)

:)

~hugs~

<3

Nightangel
Nightangel