Books

iVillage Member
Books
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 2:17pm

Are you a bookworm like me?

What books are you reading at the moment?

How did you get to read the books you are with at the moment?

If you could only take one book with you to a deserted island, which one will you choose?

Do you keep your read books or give them away?

Which book were you supposed to love but just couldn't?

Smile... the world is not that bad as long as we have good books to read!

Photobucket

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
In reply to: suffy_78
Tue, 07-20-2010 - 7:37am

Great questions, Suffy!

Are you a bookworm like me? ~ It depends. I used to be more of a bookworm than now.

What books are you reading at the moment? ~ I am reading Half the Sky (Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn), Climbing the Mango Trees (Madhur Jaffrey), The Elephant Vanishes (Haruki Murakami), Creating A World Without Poverty (Muhammad Yunus) and When You Are Engulfed in Flames (David Sedaris) as well as 2nd Chance by James Patterson.

How did you get to read the books you are with at the moment? ~ I always try to read Nicholas Kristof's column in the NY Times and the subject of this book interests me. I've also been trying to think of ways to help people, especially women and youths, be more self-sufficient financially so Muhammad Yunus' book was naturally something that would pique my interest. Haruki Murakami is an author that I had always wanted to read and now seems a good time to start reading this collection of short stories. Climbing the Mango Trees is another book that I've been meaning to read. If I enjoy it, a friend of mine will get a copy for Christmas this year (though I think she might get Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking first as she just lost her husband.) David Sedaris is a writer whose sense of humour I love. I've just finished reading 1st to Die by James Patterson so I'm curious to see whether I like the second book of the series.

If you could only take one book with you to a deserted island, which one will you choose? ~ Most probably A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth.

Do you keep your read books or give them away? ~ I always keep most of my books.

Which book were you supposed to love but just couldn't? ~ Hah, there are quite a few. The one that comes to mind is Wicked, by Gregory Maguire. I just couldn't get into it at all. Maybe in a few more years!

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-20-2010 - 6:31pm

Glad you liked the questions.

That is a very interesting list of books. I don't think I have ever read any of them so you are making me feel very inadequate here!!!

I love keeping my books as well but sadly as we are in a small one bedroom apartment that is not always an option.

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-20-2010 - 8:59pm

Don't feel bad, Suffy!

There are so many beautiful, wonderful, great, thoughtful, thought-provoking or entertaining books out there it's impossible to have read them all in such a short time. Even reading the 100 essential classics will take time to do, and a lot of times speed reading through these makes us lose or miss a lot of the pleasures in reading these books.

So what are you reading right now?

There's a programme that I love: Bookcrossing. Have you heard of it? Or maybe you are already participating? You release a book for someone else to find, read and enjoy http://www.bookcrossing.com/

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-30-2010 - 8:35am

I never got round to reading the 100 essential books, simply because it irritated me that someone would implement a reading list on me!

At the moment I am reading Vicious Circle by Arlene Hunt which is a very interesting thriller about a serial killer choosing prosititutes as victims in Dublin and You Can Heal Your Life by Louise L. Hay.

Photobucket