Storage Solutions

iVillage Member
Storage Solutions
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 6:55pm

I have a wide windowsill in my living room that ends up collecting all sorts of stuff just because it is oh-so-handy to leave things on it. Just a quick glance reveals the presence of two mirrors, five tweezers, a pack of baby wipes, DD's money bank, a pack of cotton wool, nail polish remover and three novels.

Was thinking of buying a small box or probably a container of some sort to store stuff in and keep the windowsill looking nice and tidy but thought that there must be a trendier and more eye friendly solution to this problem.. any suggestions?

Photobucket

Photobucket 

Community Leader
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 10:45am
We have had the heat and humidity to...we don't like that "heavy" feeling either ds and I. It was really bad Saturday.
Last night was cooler.
Not too bad yet today...bearable.
My ds and I live in an Apt and we were very upset last night.
A neighbour called out for someone to call the Police.
I called twice actually.
Just had gotten into the bath tub, had to get out throw my jeans and t-shirt on.
A young woung woman she had asked her b/f to leave and he went "ballistic"...my ds and I were scared.
It seemed forever for the Police to come...so long I called them back...:(
Don't know what happened to him but I told them he was "threatening" her could they please come.
My ds and I were so worried about her...like my ds said it's even scarier when you hear "NOTHING"...
He HURT her and caused her a lot of pain and grief...:(
So sad, he was yelling, swearing, throwing things, breaking things, took her phone...smashed it, just lucky that she went close to her balcony and "screamed" for help...asking someone to please call the Police.
I hate the world we live in sometimes.
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 6:01am
Baskets are a great idea and I have sorted them throughout the bedroom and even have a wicker basket for the bathroom to gather the toiletries in.
If I had any pets, let alone cats, then this windowsill would HAVE to be empty cuz anything there will be knocked off constantly. That was the case when DD was younger and she was so amused by climbing up onto them and knocking off all we had on them and so for almost two years that windowsill was VACANT; completely!
Been pretty humid around here and specially in the evenings which just drives me mental. I can feel the heaviness of the air weighing down on me....

Photobucket

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 5:58am
We have an IKEA but it's more than an hour's drive away and I don't drive! I am looking at getting broad plates to kinda throw most of the stuff into and still have them looking tidy.

Photobucket

Photobucket 

Community Leader
Sun, 07-25-2010 - 2:00pm
I was thinking baskets maybe or colourful plastic containers like the ones that have clear drawers but come in hot pink, neon green etc.
We have a store here called Field's and they have oodles of storage solutions.
Some are either square or round or rectangular storage containers in a variety of sizes.
Some are either wicker or bamboo lined with plain or patterned fabric.
I had a lot of paper -work piling up and they had these great storage boxes that come in different colours and patterns, you can stack them and when not in use they fold up.
I would love to have that our window-sills are fairly high up and narrow and we like to keep them clear for our cats, the older one doesn't go as much in the window but the younger one lives in our one window but she loves sitting in them or laying.
I have a couple of ornaments in two of the windows but leave some space for her.
Most of our stuff usually ends up on the desk right now...it's a catch all.
Would it be possible to create a catch-all on you window sill that maybe you could just close the lid and Voila' all of it is tucked away underneath.
My one Aunt used to have a bench in her Kitchen that had seats that you could lift up and there was storage.
Loved them.
Having a Lazy Day myself...ds is napping with one of our cats on the couch and I am playing on the Computer.
Nice and cool breeze thank-fully after heat and humidity...:)
Got fans on and it's pleasant just don't feel like doing anything.
Might go sit out on our balcony with my tea.
Let us know how you make out.
I ended up getting rid of a china cabinet because we really didn't have the room for it and because it was at our front door we rather I tended to drop things on it because it was convenient.
My ds wants to straighten up the living room but I told him it can wait.
I didn't want either of us spending the week-end cleaning.
It can wait until tomorrow.
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-24-2010 - 10:23pm

If there's an Ikea, they will have a huge selection of storage solution for you from baskets to boxes. Check out their Dragan bathroom set.

Some DIY stores also have small, plain untreated wooden chests that you can pain or decorate yourself.

If you can find something that has drawers it would be even better.

Good luck!