Quiz: Do you have a healthy body image?

iVillage Member
Quiz: Do you have a healthy body image?
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 1:52pm

Are you just having an off day, or is it more serious? Take our quiz and find out if your emotional health is in need of a shape-up.

http://www.ivillage.com/do-you-have-healthy-body-image/4-q-230932

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 1:54pm

We know they mean well and all, but when anyone suggests we break out of a body image rut by slicking on some sexy red lipstick or treating ourselves to a spa day, we want to puke. We’re busy, frazzled, and on the go: Lounging around in a robe and slippers ain’t gonna happen, and red lipstick has nothing to do with our cellulite. That’s why we’ve asked some of our favorite body image experts for their nine freshest tips on laying the smackdown on a bad self-esteem day.

READ MORE: 5-Minute Body Image Boosters

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 2:10pm

You're straddling the body image fence and in a potentially dangerous spot: On one hand, you aren't suffering from a full-blown eating disorder or entrenched in severely disordered thinking. But on the other hand, you tend to make negative comments about your looks and weight to both yourself and to others. As a result, your self-confidence has taken a hit and your friends may be growing tired of hearing you ridicule your muffin top.

The good news: You still have the chance to move yourself to a healthy state of mind. You may want to consider seeing a therapist (we all do it!) to evaluate what other aspects of your life might be feeling out of control, causing you to seek distraction in dieting, over-exercising and negative thoughts. When people are truly happy, they're not thinking about those last five pounds they have to lose or grimacing when they look in the mirror. You deserve to be one of those people.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 6:47am

Do you think this fits, Nancy?

Have you found that belly dancing helped you with your body image? After I did belly dancing it was so much more easier to accept, like and appreciate my body. I got rid of a lot of negative stuff through belly dancing.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 6:54am

I'm working on it still :-)

* ~ *

Mostly As
woman

Congratulations! It sounds like you're doing well when it comes to accepting your body and not fixating on the number on the scale or the size of your jeans. We all have a bad body image day every now and then – considering the fat-phobic, looks-obsessed planet we live on, how could we not? – but you don't let it supersede what really matters; family, friends, happiness and personal and professional fulfillment. Spread your healthy attitude by complimenting a random woman on the street or calling out a girlfriend the next time she bashes her body.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 1:50pm
I've had a bad body image since I was about 13, when I started gaining weight, so that's been a very long time. I grew up in a family where I was never told that I was pretty or attractive. I've never been a girly girl, spending hours on my hair or clothes, painting my nails, wearing the latest fashions, wearing makeup, etc. I've always worn jeans and t-shirt, because then I won't stand out, KWIM? My fist husband never once said that I was pretty or sexy or even attractive and he behaved like he didn't want others to know that I was with him. For example, we never held hands in public. He always walked ahead of me. Whenever we went over to someone's house he always made sure that we sat in separate chairs and never on a couch or loveseat together.

DH is completely different. He tells me every day that I'm beautiful and that I'm sexy. There is always PDA between us when we're out together. But he fears that he's fighting a losing battle trying to help me raise my self-esteem. He said that maybe on my death bed some of what he's said will sink in.

I'm not constantly down about myself. I go through cycles. Whenever I do belly dance or whenever we're at the Ren faire or when someone notices my tattoo, then I do feel good about myself. Most days I don't really feel anything, though there are days when I do feel bad. But most days it's like I just don't care anymore.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-11-2010 - 7:48am
Now that you have your own space you can start belly dancing on a regular basis again, and start feeling good about yourself and your body. It's important!