Weddings

iVillage Member
Weddings
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 11:12am

I was at a wedding reception earlier this evening. The grand-daughter of very good friends of my parents was getting married. It was mostly standing only for around 1000 guests (which these days is considered big but not huge), which quite a few buffet stations inside the hotel ballroom and just outside of it.

The only dancing was done by a group of 5, at the beginning of the reception. It was a performance of a traditional dance. Like a lot of receptions here, it started at 7pm and was expected to continue till 10pm. Any kind of partying might be held another day.

The newlyweds and their parents (and in this case the maternal grandparents, too, who were the hosts of the evening since the reception was help at their hotel) were on a stage (literally). Guests would go up to give their congratulation, then go down to head for the buffets and socialize. After they've finished dinner they go home.

If you are married, what kind of wedding and reception did you have? Was it big or small? Did you organize yourself, did your family help you, did you use the services of a wedding organizer?

If you are not yet married, how do you imagine your wedding day to be?

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_libelulle
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 5:48pm
I've been married twice. For my first marriage we got married in my parents' home. My brother provided the music and my SIL took photos. My SIL's mother was a notary public and she performed the ceremony. My best friend was the maid of honor and her boyfriend at the time was the best man. We had between 20 and 25 guests. For the reception we had cake and a buffet and champagne. There wasn't any dancing.

For my second wedding DH and I went down to the county courthouse and got married by a justice of the peace. There were several other couples getting married that day. So there were no guests, no photos or music, no dancing and no reception.

We're planning on renewing our vows for either our 15th or 20th anniversary. We want to have it done at the Renaissance faire we attend in NC.
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 11:34am

What kind of wedding and reception did you have? Was it big or small? Did you organize yourself, did your family help you, did you use the services of a wedding organizer?

Very small and simple: church service with DH's family only, reception was in his parents' back yard with the neighbors attending. Dress was a cataog order; flowers were from a local flower shop; wedding cake was home baked; "honeymoon" was a day trip to Put-in-Bay on South Bass Island in the middle of Lake Erie!!! When we got married, wedding planners were totally unheard of (at least by us) and besides, we didn't have the money to do such an elaborate ceremony and after party. DH and I did all the "planning", such as it was planned, with the help of Dh's mother!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 6:04pm

When I married the first time the ceremony was held in my parents' home, with the reception there, as well. There were only a handful of close friends and relatives. My mother took it upon herself to organize the whole affair. The second time (and last!) I eloped.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 8:39pm

1000 sounds huge to me. We must have had about 250.
It was a church wedding, I organized it myself, and
family helped.

I enjoy attending weddings and receptions.

font-size: 14pt;">Susan

Photobucket
Photobucket

dietbudspowinners.gif

PhotobucketlifeispainPhotobucket

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

font-size: 12pt;">
organic tag created by Erin
(Wickedcupofjoe)
PhotobucketPhotobucketinvisible-yellow-cap

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-10-2010 - 3:08pm
I've been married twice (also divorced twice).

Molly

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-10-2010 - 9:16pm

I'm on my second marriage as well ...

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 3:12pm

We had the bestest wedding we could ever have! We got married in beautiful Rockport, Mass by a JP on the Headlands overlooking the harbor. We've joked about how our marriage started "on the rocks" and could only go uphill from there!

$500 covered all the food, the invitations, our clothes, flowers, everything even our printed napkins. I wore a white top that had a squared lace inset and high collar with a skirt that I had a local artist paint flowers of the fall season around the one of the tiers after she had take a bottle of wine I had given her to drink on the Headlands at Sunset and use the colors she had seen. My honey got a brown pin-striped suit.

We asked friends to stand up with us, and wear what they wanted. Stuie wore a light blue suit and sneakers. My friend Diane co-ordinated with me and wore a burgundy skirt and a pink blouse that resembled mine what I was wearing and she also did my hair. We made all the food, and I had a 2 layer cake made with a Bear bride and groom on the top surrounded by flowers. And yes, there was Champagne!

This October 2nd, it will have been 28 years. One of the best days of my life!

Bren Jay

Superposter -BL
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 9:48am
Ooooh, Nancy! Yes to renewing your vows at the Renaissance Faire! Your 15th in only a few short years, isn't it?

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 9:51am
Your wedding was about the wedding, not about the hoopla surrounding the wedding.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 9:55am

Heh heh heh... I've always wanted to elope but I promised my mother I wouldn't.

One of my close friends eloped at the beginning of the year. I was slightly PO'ed because she didn't tell me beforehand, but since they got married whilst on a trip to New York and I was the first person they told (apart from the witness) my scowl quickly changed into a huge smile. I'd been telling her for years that eloping is the way to go!

Pages