Inspiration

iVillage Member
Inspiration
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 9:26am

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this board but I'm writing because I'm starting my life over. My husband recently left me (it's ok though) and everything I knew for the past 10 years is gone. So, I'm moving on and concentrating on my own happiness without him or any man for the time being.

I've been reading a lot about motivation and they say that you should read books/stories about people who have done what you'd like to do just to hear about their success so you don't get discouraged with obtaining your own goals. Right now my goals are taking care of myself in all senses and I'd like to move across the country (from PA to CA)

Does anyone have good stories to share or books they could recommend?
any help is greatly appreciated :-)

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-17-2010 - 9:31am

Welcome to the board, Kittyfantastica!

It sounds like you are fully embracing this new chapter in your life, with all the changes and possibilities that it entails.

Whose memoirs or autobiographies are you reading right now? Who are your inspiration? And what do you dream to do in California?

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-17-2010 - 3:18pm

Thank you!

I'm really trying. It's much better than feeling sorry for myself or for my marriage that simply didn't go as planned.

I am not currently reading anything inspiring so that's what I was looking for help on. I have done searches, but I get lost in a sea of corny stories...

All I want to do in California is live my life the best way I can. To have fun, have no regrets and to just do something different to try and find out who I really am.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 1:23am

It is easy to fill oneself with self-pity, isn't it? I did that a very long time ago, and while it might be needed at the beginning, it's also something that we need to let go of in order to relieve ourselves from victim mode.

What I did when my long-term relationships ran aground was to remind myself that whilst it didn't go as planned, for some of those years we did succeed in having a good, close, loving relationship. Which meant that I am capable of building a good, close and loving relationship with a partner. In the midst of the demise of that relationship, knowing that was something I could hold onto. And while the relationship wasn't good at all the last year we were together, we had been good together and those good things I put in my good things memory bank. The relationship ended, I'm not even on speaking terms with my ex, but the good memories have stayed good and the I've worked through the stuff that hurt. Even a year after we separated I was already grateful that we did because it led me to a life that was more suited for the person that I am.

I look around me to find my inspiration; my friends and family are pretty good at providing that. Life hasn't always been easy for many and for different reasons, but each has found a way to surmount their problems, learn, grow, be a better person. The processes aren't always easy or perfect, but when our daily intention is to live and be the best that we can at that moment, we do find a way.