Me Too Tuesday

iVillage Member
Me Too Tuesday
Tue, 08-17-2010 - 10:13am
What were the things that you did that you did because all your friends were doing it?

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 1:38pm

I moved to California from Texas to start working for my friend's company. While living in Texas, I worked 5 days a week. After work Mon- Thurs, you wouldn't catch me doing anything except cooking dinner, watching tv, & sleep.

The minute I moved to Cali (I knew no one here except my one friend), I started going out to clubs/bars (gay ones might I add... and I'm not gay) multiple times a week.. I never cooked dinner once for a good 4 months.

I've lived in Cali for almost a year now & I've since stopped working for my friend (we are no longer pals) & I've started hanging out with the man of my dreams. We have very similar weekly interests. We cook dinner together Mon-Thurs & go out maybe once a weekend. I'm not exactly why I changed into someone I was not, but now I'm happier than ever being my boring ole self.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 11:29pm

Welcome to the board, J!

I guess that is one way to discover who you are and what makes you happy. I know a lot of people who are always wondering at all the things that they never did and becoming unhappy about it because they somehow become sure that they missed out on something.

It's great that you've found the guy of your dreams, and that you've realized through your partying and clubbing experience that you are much more happier spending your evening at home, cooking for yourself, and going out on the week-end. I don't think that's boring at all! We're all different, and we have different needs, likes and dislikes. Just because you like to stay at home during the week doesn't make you or your life boring, and because I prefer to go out during the week and stay home on the week-ends make my life more interesting ;-)

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 2:03am

A few years ago I had my hair straightened through the Japanese rebonding method. It looked so nice on my friend S - all straight and shiny.

Not quite a good look for me, though. While I don't regret doing it (and it actually came at a good time since I didn't need to use a brush or comb for six months because it was really wash and wear), it wasn't the look for me and I ought to have known it from the beginning ;-)

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 12:52pm

Very true! I wish everyone understood that. My boyfriend has 3 roommates & he is the only one with a full-time job. Everyone is trying to make it in the movie business here in LA. It's funny how they all complain about money (bc they don't have jobs) yet they all still go out & whine because he doesn't want to go with them. We're tired after working all day plus the drive to & from work. We barely have enough time to cook dinner & relax a bit before bed.

My boyfriend occasionally asks if I'm okay not going out all the time.. He has no idea! I'm exhausted too :)

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 6:23pm

It would be nice if people didn't need that herd mentality! Maybe they secretly wished that they, too, could just stay home.

On the other hand, for people working in certain industries do need to go out at night to network outside the office. Plus one just never knows where one might get a lead for a job or for a contact. Eons ago, the new company that I had just joined signed its first contract because I was then a regular at this one club. I told another club regular, an architect, about my new job and he put me in touch with an interior designer, who also went to the same club.

Like you, though, I now prefer a calmer life. We still go out during the week as it's too crowded over the week-end, but it's for a quiet dinner with friends or to go to a concert or lectures or exhibitions. Quiet stuff that allows us to go home by 9 pm!

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-21-2010 - 8:02pm
I am proud to say I never ever did anything because others were doing it,simply because I loved to be the rebel who did not conform. I don't even listen to songs that everybody is mad about until the fuss fades and then would give it a try.

Photobucket

Photobucket