Sweet Lil Memories

iVillage Member
Sweet Lil Memories
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 7:10pm

For the last month, DH and I have been working non stop. Just opposite shifts and what have you. I have next Monday as our first night together in a long time and I would love to make something out of that Monday. I would like to do something special, mealwise and ambience ... the whole nine yards. Any ideas?

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 1:57am

It depends what you both like to do, and what your favourite meal is.

Every day food in a nice setting is always nice. Comfort food you both like but that you've not had in awhile, using good china, glassware and flatware, some flowers in a vase, soothing music? A dessert made of fruit salad with pine nuts topped with some yoghurt, set in a nice bowl? A nice soothing tea to finish it off.

A walk after the meal?

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-29-2010 - 6:43pm

Food is an ever present item in our house. Every memory we have involves some favorite meal or snack.

As for the china, I don't have any good china or cutlery, but I will get flowers and out them on the table.. that should help right?

Music? Maybe... You are getting my mind working here, Poppy. THanks!

Photobucket

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 1:39am

Years ago what my then-SO and I would sometimes do on Sunday evenings was to have a picnic at home. In his house.

We'd get stuff from the supermarket (because we were usually out in the afternoon) like roast chicken, salads, breads, appetizers, etc. Then we'd eat on the floor of the living whilst watching TV. After that we'd drag the mattress out to the living room, and camp there for the night. We'd watch TV, talk. I never asked him whether he liked this or not, but we did it several times and he never said no. I made me feel like a child again. Simple (except for dragging the mattress out there) but it kept the work week at bay for a few more hours. And for a few more hours we were having fun, laughing, giggling, talking, doing something out of the ordinary within our ordinary. It was also something pretty simple and easy to pull off, but that create and added to our intimacy.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 6:26am
So what did you end up doing, Suffy?

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 9:32pm

Oh God Poppy! Here goes...

the meal was great. We had not had a meal together in a month so it was really special that we ended up at the same table eating. I made a nice rice pilaf with beef and raisins and got us a fancy new jug and filled it with ice cold water with a bottle of coke on the side... Not too romantic I know, but it worked. I bought myself a lovely maxi dress with a zebra print which is something I would never ever wear normally and had it on for the meal with my hair and makeup done.

Later on we settled to watch TV as we could not decide on a movie and I brewed us some good coffee with a lovely moist sponge cake for dessert. It was a nice evening. We went shopping the next morning as the local department store was having a massive sale ad got stuff for the entire family at a 90% discount so, very happy with that! We are talking about going for a chinese this evening as we are starting another bout of work and conflicting schedules so ... fingers crossed!

Photobucket

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-05-2010 - 7:54pm
That sounds like a very nice meal, Suffy! How did you make the pilaf?

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-05-2010 - 10:25pm
Soaked the rice in boiling water while I cooked the beef with some spices. When thoroughly cooked I drained it

Photobucket