Dentist

iVillage Member
Dentist
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 6:26am

In dubious honour of having gone to the dentist today (dubious because it turns out I cracked a molar)...

How often do you go to the dentist?

Does going to the dentist make you anxious?

How long have you gone to this dentist?

Have you had/do you have any major teeth problems?

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_libelulle
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 1:32pm
What a timely question Poppy,
I have to go today ::gasp::
Absolutely hate going & always very anxious w/ lots of anxiety.
In fact DH & I always go together ::blush::
Every four months sadly, LOL
We've been with this guy for many years.
Not too major but enough for me to not want to go
Sorry about your molar :(

Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 6:26am

How'd it go, Hugs? It's good that you are able to go with your husband!

I normally don't have an problems with the dentist as I normally don't have dental problems ~ my appointments generally last about 10 minutes - with 5 of those minutes catching up (my dentist is my mom's cousin.) The biggest problem to date had been a wisdom tooth extraction that took 3 hours. I wasn't anxious, but it was tiring.

The thought of having to get a root canal makes me nervous, but I think I'll listen to a guided imagery just before my appointment and maybe an audiobook or some podcasts when she's working on me.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 11:22am
I survived but have to go back,
Get that cavity filled ::sigh::
Sounds like you have a great plan for when you go back though Poppy.
Lucky you on not being anxious when going to the dentist :)

Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-05-2010 - 9:52pm

How often do you go to the dentist?--About once a year.

Does going to the dentist make you anxious?--Not anymore. I started going out of the States to Mexico. They are known for their dentistry, and they practice slightly different. I never have pain anymore. I process novacaine verrrry quickly and that used to cause problems.

How long have you gone to this dentist?--About 2 or 3 years.

Have you had/do you have any major teeth problems? -- Used to. The dentist in Mexico fixed everything. Love my teeth now!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 9:33am

Hello Indexlady!

It's very nice to see you again. I hope that everything has been well for you and your husband.

You are the first person I know in the US that goes elsewhere for medical or dental care. That's great that you don't have pain or dental problems anymore. Not having problems with one's teeth makes a huge difference with one's overall quality of life.

What made you decide to go to Mexico? Did you know people who had done this? How did you find your dentist?

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 9:52am

"Medical vacations" are widely known about, with various countries focusing on certain conditions. Mexico focuses on dental work.

They are specialized there, like here. Some just do minor work, such as fillings and cleanings. Others have much more training and do oral surgery, laminates, etc.

I know personally several folks who've done it, but they go to Mazatlan. I went to a different location to a border crossing known to be a bit safer than some. No crossing is EVER 100% safe. But, some are better than others.

I just looked them up online, read a lot of reviews, where they were trained, languages spoken, etc. Common sense can provide a lot of guidance.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 10:28am

I'm a medical vacationer myself, and have been for years though the reason was to seek better medical services in Singapore. It wasn't cheaper, though. Fortunately medical quality here has changed for the better! A lot of people here are now going to Malaysia and Thailand as medical care is as excellent as in Singapore but much cheaper. There's also less of a language barrier for those going to Malaysia as Malaysian and Indonesia have the same roots. A lot of people head to Thailand for cosmetics procedures.

Yes, common sense provides good guidance. Gut feeling once we get there, see the clinic/hospital and meet the medical professionals also provide good guidance, too.