Death at Daisy's Folly by Robin Paige

iVillage Member
Death at Daisy's Folly by Robin Paige
Sun, 08-16-2009 - 2:31pm

This is the third in the series of Victorian Mysteries. It's one of my favorite series. The author is actually the husband and wife team of Bill Albert and Susan Wittig Albert (She writes the China Bayles mysteries.). I recommend reading them in order. That way you get to watch the relationship between the main characters unfold. If you don't care about this romantic line and just want the mystery you can read them any which way. Another thing I like about the series is that actual historical figures and places are used in the story line. Names such as Lilly Langtry, Rudyard Kipling, Albert and Alexi the Prince and Princess of Wales, are characters involved in the storyline. They are written in the style of a British cozy,such as Agatha Christie is known for. So after a lot of grueling forensic details or true to life crime, this is a good series to fall back on just for a pleasant, fast read.

Here is the book synopsis:

Sir Charles Sheridan is many things - an amateur scientist, a renowned photographer, and a skilled detective. And due to Victorian customs, he will soon become a baron - rendering him unable to marry Kate Ardleigh, an American writer of the popular, yet frowned upon "penny-dreadfuls". Even as the customs of the time keep them apart, a good murder case always seems to bring them together....

The Countess of Warwick, known affectionately as "Daisy", is the subject of endless rumors about her "unladylike" ways and temperament. But what happens during a weekend party at her Easton estate is uglier than any rumor. First, a stableboy is killed. Then a nobleman is murdered outside Daisy's well-known trysting spot. A murderer is on the grounds - and on the loose. Seeking to avoid scandal, the Prince of Wales orders Sir Charles to solve the case. Together, he and Miss Ardleigh find that even the highest levels of society are no refuge from the lowest of deeds...

Bev

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-16-2009 - 4:56pm

Sounds good Bev. I wanted to check to see what was book #1 and boy was I surprised to see how many there are in the series. In case anyone is interested I have included a link to the order of the books. I'm going to check if my library carries them as It indeed sounds like something I'd like. Thank you for sharing.

Sandra

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/robin-paige/

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 8:35am
Bev, Reserved the first in the series...looks good...thanks!

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 8:36am
Sandra, Great web site....have this one bookmarked!

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 9:20am

Glad to hear you've reserved one. Let me know if you enjoyed it after you've finished. I love books like this on a winter afternoon when you can't do anything else. Then I can just read and read and read.

Bev

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 9:22pm

My library doesn't carry all of the series but most of them so I will definitely be giving this series a try Bev and starting with the first one. I have a few books at home at present that I have to read first but I should get to one shortly. Will let you know. Thanks.

Sandra

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket