Death of a Gossip by M.C. Beaton

iVillage Member
Death of a Gossip by M.C. Beaton
Mon, 08-24-2009 - 12:33pm

This is the first book of the Hamish Macbeth. I've read several and enjoyed them immensely, so I decided to start at the beginning. By no means does this have to be done. Each book is a pleasure in itself. It just seems to be something I like to do now that I'm older. I like reading favorite authors books in chronological order. It's just something to do, I guess.

Anyway, M.C. Beaton also writes the Agatha Raisin mysteries. Both are cozies (easy, fast reading mysteries). There's none of the blood and gut descriptions of the murder like today's forensic murder mysteries. The focus is on the mystery part of the plot not the murder part.

I read this book in 24 hours, which anyone who knows me even a little knows this is incredible. I am the world's slowest reader. I absolutely devour these books, though.

Here's the book synopsis:

"John Cartwright, co-leader with his wife, Heather, of the Lochdubh School of Casting: Salmon and Trout Fishing, is more prophetic than he knows. Indeed, Hamish Macbeth, the unflappable police constable of the Scottish Highland village of Lochdubh, is roused one hot afternoon from his tranquil routine when the most unpopular student of the Cartwright's class is found tied to the wrong end of a fishing line.

Possible motives are plentiful among the other members of the fishing class; NOBODY, in fact is at all displeased that the obnoxious Lady Jane will be attending no more fly-tying sessions. A malicious gossip, Lady Jane was hated by everyone, from the twelve-year-old boy Charlie to Alice Wilson, a "wholesome-looking girl" with a slight Liverpool accent, to the Cartwrights themselves.

Lady Jane, Hamish soon discovers, was no ordinary gossip; gossiping was her profession (some call it journalism), and she did the research for her weekly social column well. Hamish Macbeth must determine in his uniquely sleepy way which of the nine school members had the most to hide - and who would go so far as murder to keep it hidden."

If you choose to read this, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Bev