The Crediton Killings by Michael Jecks

iVillage Member
The Crediton Killings by Michael Jecks
Sat, 08-29-2009 - 1:39pm

This was another goodie. I guessed 3 different murderers in this medieval mystery and was wrong! The culprits turned out to be 2 characters, one of which I considered for a fleeting moment near the beginning of the book, but dismissed and a separate murderer that I didn't even give a look at. There was also a side plot of a robbery mixed in so it made the mix even more challenging. This was a totally enjoyable mystery. Michael Jecks really went to town with this one. It was a total thumbs up!

Here's the cover synopsis:

"The arrival of the eminent Bishop of Exeter to the small Devonshire town of Crediton - coupled with the unwanted appearance of a particularly unsavory band of mercenary soldiers - has made life exceedingly difficult for Simon Puttock, bailiff of Lydford, and ex-Knight Templar Baldwin Furnshill, Keeper of the King's Peace. But it is the grim discovery of the body of a young girl hidden in a chest that unleashes a village-wide plague of fear and suspicion. Stemming the chaos may be beyond the powers of two dedicated upholders of the law. For the Crediton killings have only just begun - and each murder to follow threatens to be more heinous and baffling than the one before."

Bev

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-29-2009 - 11:05pm

Sounds like it was a good one Bev and always fantastic when you really enjoy a book and can't guess the ending. I think that really says something about the writing style of the author. I haven't read anything by this author but will have to check this one out now after your good review. Thanks for sharing.

Sandra

Photobucket