The Red Tree by Caitlin R. Kiernan

iVillage Member
The Red Tree by Caitlin R. Kiernan
Sun, 09-06-2009 - 9:44pm

I don't know whether I liked this book or not. It was definitely different from anything I've ever read before. I didn't really care too much for the subject matter, but the author's style of writing was really easy. The words just rolled along at a nice, comfortable pace. It was very descriptive. I had no trouble picturing the background or the action. The story itself was rather disturbing and weird.

The story took place outside a small village in Rhode Island. It was based upon one main urban legend of the area, though it dabbles in others, too. There is a paranormal undercurrent throughout the book. The main part of the story is about the paranoia of a middle-aged lesbian author. She is rather a tedious character.

I really don't think I will read anything else by this author.

Here's the book synopsis:

"Sarah Crowe left Atlanta and the remnants of a tumultuous relationship, to live alone in an old house in rural Rhode Island. Within its walls she discovers an unfinished manuscript written by the house's former tenant - a parapsychologist obsessed with the ancient oak growing on a desolate corner of the property.

Tied to local legends of supernatural magic, as well as documented accidents and murders, the gnarled tree takes root in Sarah's imagination, prompting her to write her own account of its unsavory history.

And as the oak continues to possess her dreams and almost all her waking thoughts, Sarah risks her health and her sanity to unearth a revelation planted centuries ago..."

Bev