Say You're One of Them, Uwem Akpan

iVillage Member
Say You're One of Them, Uwem Akpan
Sun, 04-18-2010 - 11:36am

This book of short stories was an Oprah pick a little while ago. The writing is fantastic, and Uwem Akpan takes you to places a lot of people in the US haven't been. My family in PR was poor, but, thankfully, I didn't have to go through a lot of the hardships my parents went through. Still, they didn't live like the characters in this book. All the stories are told through the eyes of children, making everything even more heartbreaking.

The first story is about a family whose daughter procures a Christmas feast for them, but at a very high cost. The second story is about two children whose uncle has sold them into slavery. The third story is about two young girls whose parents separate them because one is Muslim and the other is Christian. The fourth is about a Muslim boy that is traveling on a bus with Christian refugees as their country is erupting in religious warfare. The fifth is about a family during the beginning of the Rwandan genocide.

Again, fantastic writing. Make sure you are in the right mood to read the book or you'll never finish it.

-Mari

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-18-2010 - 12:09pm

This is one of the books that I have picked up at the bookstore a few times. For me, I find Oprah's choices to be either a big hit or miss so I'm glad to get a recommendation from someone else.

Kathie

Kathie

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-18-2010 - 7:51pm

I hear ya. There are some Oprah books I absolutely love and others that I have hated with all my being. I'm not going around telling everyone they have to read this book since the subject matter is so heavy.

-Mari