Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2003 - 12:08pm
My mother makes a similar cake, but I've never seen the pumpkin version before. Ran across it from the Food Network's Paula Deen. We love these rich bars (we cut them into bar-sized pieces rather than bigger cake pieces because it is rich) so I thought I'd post her pumpkin version for you for Thanksgiving!

6 to 8 servings

Cake:

1 (18 1/4-ounce) package yellow cake mix

1 egg

8 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling:

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin

3 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

8 tablespoons butter, melted

1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

To make the cake: Combine all of the ingredients and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan. Prepare filling.

To make the filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey.

Serve with fresh whipped cream.

Variations: For a Pineapple Gooey Cake: Instead of the pumpkin, add a drained 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple to the cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.

For a Banana Gooey Cake: Prepare cream cheese filling as directed, beating in 2 ripe bananas instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.

For a Peanut Butter Gooey Cake: Use a chocolate cake mix. Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter to the cream cheese filling instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2003 - 6:12pm
Oh this sounds so yummy and I DO have all the ingredients on hand!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2003 - 7:28pm
My mom's is just the vanilla (vanilla flavoring in the cream cheese), which is actually delicious with a sort of mixture of coffee cake and cheese cake topping. I've never seen these varieties in this post which is why I was so interested!

Hope you enjoy!

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2003 - 8:14pm
Seems to me that there are a lot of interesting ideas we hear about from the food network. I like the version your Mum makes too. Yum. There is some chocolate Mud cake sitting in my kitchen that is calling my name. DD forgot to serve it at the party and then did not want to eat it to put on any weight so she gave it back LOL oh and DH is on a diet to the wedding. He said the cake had better be gone when he goes to raid the kitchen tonight. LOL Suzi

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2003 - 8:24pm
LOL Looks like you'll have to eat it all Suzi!!
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2003 - 9:00pm
LOL That is not an option Kim. LOL. I do get to lick the knife after cutting it for someone else. I have a friend dropping by later so will give her some to take home. I gave some away yesterday too. I'm sure Teddy would help out BUT chocolate is not good for him.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2003 - 11:05pm

well I know they say chocolate is bad and sometimes leathal for doggies, but mine have been chocoholics. Buddy was for nearly 16 years, LOL, he never got sick from chocolate, lol , but always did if he had too much turkey! I say he was more furry people than dog, of course Misty the cast iron stomach garbage gut could eat anything, and DOES!

Now don't go eating too much of that chocolate cake! LOL, there is such a thing as TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING! LOL, I know, from past experience with the scale, especially after the holidays!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2003 - 11:24pm
DS just called and is bring home the newspaper to show me as apparently he's in it with a photo taken at his gf Grad last Friday night. He's bring a friend too so it looks like there will be some help eating the cake!!! Teddy will be safe. He has had some chocolate but not a lot as DD keeps telling me that it is not good, but after all he is a furry person so does appear to love it. LOL.