Are you eating enough fruits and veggies

iVillage Member
Are you eating enough fruits and veggies
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 1:06am

We all know that vegetables and fruits are good for us, yet the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found last year that only a third of adults ate fruits or drank fruit juice at least twice daily, and only 26% of adults ate vegetables three or more times daily.

Go to www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov to find out how much fruits and vegetables you need to consume daily ~ it differs according to age, gender and activity level. The site will also help you figure out how much is a cup or half a cup of fruits and vegetables, and how to stretch your fruits and vegetable budget.

Are you eating the recommended daily servings of fruits and vegetables?

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-26-2010 - 12:33pm

Thanks HotCarmel!

I used to freeze a lot a few years ago. It's great to go home, pick something out of the freezer, nuke it while I change and unwind, and have something hot to eat a few minutes later. Especially in winter when I come home all cold and needing something to warm me up!

I looooooove zucchinis! The other weeks I roasted zucchini and onions, then made a soup from it. I think the recipe called for parmesan to be added to the soup and some cream to be put on top of it, but I just crumbled some feta cheese since that is what I had on hand and it worked pretty way. I think I'll be making this again this week.

You are right - eating healthy can be delicious and fun. Most people don't know how to prepare healthy recipes or know the cooking techniques that will help them prepare healthy dishes. You can grill, roast, stir-fry, steam. Use a rack underneath a chicken when roasting so that the fat goes in the pan and doesn't soak the chicken, and don't roast the vegetables in that same pan (mine always get drenched with too much chicken fat.) Use herbs and spices as well as fresh salsas, too. I'm going to learn to make my friend's mango salsa - it just makes a boring roasted or grilled chicken breast or a pork chop into something else entirely.

That's wonderful that you've finally found a neurologist who is treating you as a whole and not only the symptoms. I hope he finds out why exercise is triggering your migraines. I am also glad that your migraines are "only" lasting 4 hours now.

You hit the nail on the head - most often we need realistic and feasible changes. The changes you made weren't drastic, but were pretty much realistic and thus were feasible to you. Everyone needs to find their own realistic and feasible changes!

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-26-2010 - 12:17pm

That sounds like a reasonable and a feasible way of eating and enjoying food.

Right now I'm eating a lot of soups in the evening. It's a way to feel loved and warm - thus satisfying my emotional needs, eat different vegetables, feel as though I've eaten enough, get liquids, and control calories, too. I'm also enjoying the cooking.

We can both wear our smaller-sized clothes by March!

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-26-2010 - 12:12pm

When I cook I mostly make from scratch, so that I can control saltiness and sweetness. I usually leave everyone to salt their own plate, and it's rare that I use sugar.

I know that there are low-sodium broths that one can buy, but these are difficult to find here and expensive, and I don't like to use bouillon cubes. It's actually pretty cheap to make my own chicken or vegetable broth. If it's chicken broth that I need, I go to this one supermarket and buy some chicken bones. The other day I made enough broth to make two soups for 4 plus one soup for 2. The broth cost me about 50 cents' worth of chicken bones, a celery stick, an onion, and a potato which I always have in the kitchen. No bad!

You know I've never tried baked squash. I used to make pumpkin gratin - substitute pumpkin for potatoes and there you have it. It's very nice but it's too hot to eat gratin here. Maybe I can make a less heavy and less fattening version!

I do like my food spicy when it's supposed to be spicy!

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-25-2010 - 10:12pm

Hello Poppy! Sorry for the late reply!

Grill: WestBend housewares, 1500 watt, indoor grill, with lid.#6111. Lid and water tray keeps it from smoking and safer.

Chelle-

Amour-Propre

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-20-2010 - 6:18pm
You know what I am doing now regarding the D word? I am not on a real diet, I am just avoiding stuff that don't really agree with my wanted lifestyle and the outcome I hope to achieve... huh?!! how cool does that sound?
So far the best trick I have come up with is avoiding thinking of things I cannot eat and instead setting a date, say two weeks from now, when I can have a bit of that thing that is ruining my figure. So far I have dates for: sugar, rice, pasta, red meat and chinese food. I am gonna have a lil bit of each on different dates and then reset the date... that way, whenever I have a craving for chocolate for example I know that I can have it again in two weeks time. And somehow, that makes it easier and in the same time: a)stops me fixating on the stuff I can and cannot have, and b)forces me to find alternatives that are better for me.
I have promised myself that I will fit into some of my old clothes by next March and this time, it feels like I might just do it.

Photobucket

Photobucket 

Community Leader
Mon, 09-20-2010 - 10:22am
I didn't prepare it, we had it at a Community Lunch program where I live.
If I make it I usually would do it in the the oven...bake it...Sprinkled with salt/pepper to your taste or you can let people salt/pepper it to their taste after it's cooked.
At one time I may have used real butter but now it would be my heart-healthy margarine or spread.
I try to watch out for cholesterol and sodium and if you are a diabetic it's good to check for sugar content to.
You can buy lots of products with half the salt low sodium or sodium removed virtually salt-free and/or sugar-free.
They baked it and it was so good!...Yummy!!!
I have always loved my vegetables even as a kid, cooked or raw.
I had a delicious chicken and rice dish the other day with pineapple, carrots, broccoli, beans, red peppers and it was so good.
Sweet and sour sauce mixed in.
My ds actually liked it and loved the aroma.
He said it reminded him of a restaurant.
All the wonderful aromas.
Another one I had we didn't like the sauce, much hotter, too hot!!!
It would have been good minus the sauce, too spicy but you just don't know.
Have to watch sauces and gravies, and salad dressings or mayo.
You don't necessarily have to cut it out altogether just eat in moderation or use less.
Cut it down by size of the amount you use.
Instead of a tablespoon reduce it, use teaspoons or a half a tablespoon or one instead of two.
I have stopped using condiments as much and now the tendency is to eat things plain.
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 10:56am

That's wonderful, Lorie!

It's easier when there are stores or markets with fresh produce nearby.

How did you prepare the squash?

Community Leader
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 6:42am
We have an outdoors Farmer's Market and the once place I shop a lot at has both fruits and vegetables really cheap.
I bought tomatoes there, strawberries, raspberries, bananas, salad. oranges apples, corn etc.
At the Lunch I got to they gave out fresh produce to to give out and give away.
We have had apples. corn, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, raspberries etc.
That has helped. We had squash there on Thursday, it was yummy!
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 8:30pm
Poppy, I like fruits (some, not all) but they don't stay fresh for very long and with my driving phobia, it just seems that I have to keep going and going and going to the store.

Molly

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 7:09pm

1.5 cups of fruit and 2.5 cups of vegetables

Well that surprises me - I thought I was supposed to eat much more than that.

Let's see, I have 1/2 cup of blueberries on my cereal & 5 oz glass of grapefruit juice, strawberries on my cottage cheese for lunch & cucumber, berries for a snack and a cup of vegetables at dinner. Guess I need to eat more vegetables still.

~*~ Catherine, mom to three grown men - Jason, Michael & Joshua and Granma to Christopher & Leia.

CL Breastmilk vs. Formula Debate Board

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Pregnancy Stories By Age - 43-56+yrs old!

You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's

Frugal Freebies

~*~ Catherine, mom to three grown men - Jason, Michael & Joshua and Granma to Christopher & Leia.

Pages