• high enough that I take medication for it

• I have to idea what it is

• Other

You will be able to change your vote.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-14-2010 - 9:41pm

From healthywomen.org:

Lower Your Cholesterol

For many Americans working toward better heart health, an important first step is getting cholesterol to a healthy level. Diet and exercise are important steps to reduce high cholesterol. However, many people may find that with diet and exercise alone, cholesterol numbers are not where they should be.

More than one hundred million Americans have high cholesterol, an important risk factor for heart disease. Though diet is very important, many people don't realize that cholesterol is also produced in the body based upon heredity.

Learning about your family health history is important—we recommend talking to your family about their health and creating a family health tree. Bringing this information to your next doctor visit will help you discuss your family history regarding cholesterol and other hereditary health concerns.

Understanding Cholesterol

What you eat affects your health, by raising or lowering the blood fats (cholesterol, triglycerides) that circulate through your body. Some foods increase your levels of total cholesterol, LDL or "bad" cholesterol and triglycerides. Over the years, excess cholesterol and fat are deposited in the inner walls of the arteries that supply blood to your heart. Eventually, these deposits can make your arteries narrower and less flexible, a condition known as atherosclerosis. Left unchecked, this buildup can lead to heart attack, stroke and death.

Additionally, because of your family health history, your body may be genetically predisposed to make more cholesterol than you may need, in addition to the cholesterol from your food intake.

Continue to learn more here.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 2:51am

I have no idea what it is. It's time to get it checked as it's been dangerously high in the past (as in so much higher than it ought ever be that my GP yelped.)

After some modifications to my diet it went down again.

Community Leader
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 11:12am
Thanks Poppy for sharing this.
It's one of the things we talk about on Heart Health where I am the cl for that board.
Mine tends to be high.
I can remember when my doctor first checked it out it was extremely high, I now am on medication.
It can save your Life having it checked.
Not long after that I had my heart attack.
My blood pressure is also high and I now take medication for that to.
I have heart disease.
Please when you go for a check-up ask your doctor to check these two things out.
Heart Disease is a "Silent Killer".
Finding your Best Life means caring for and looking after you.
<3
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 10:47pm

Thank you so very much for sharing this, Lorie.

As you've said, having one's cholesterol level and blood pressure checked out and kept in check is very important.

My father used to have his blood pressure checked on a daily basis at home. He's also get blood work done on a monthly basis to make sure everything was within the normal range. He'd bring his latest results with him when he goes on his regular visits to the cardiologist.

Community Leader
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 6:44am
<3
You are very Welcome Poppy!
~hugs~
<3
A happy heart is a healthy one!
:) ;)
Nightangel
Nightangel