Hi ho - it's off to work we go!

iVillage Member
Hi ho - it's off to work we go!
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 11:02am

How long does/did it take you to get to work?

How do/did you get there - bus, car, train, subway, bike, walk, other?

Do you carpool?

Do you listen to something, read, daydream, think about the day ahead, plan, etc. whilst you are on your way?

How long does/did it take you to get back from work?

Do/did you manage to unwind on the way home or do/did you have to do that once you are home?

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-20-2010 - 1:46am

This is all in the past adn there wre several different commutes involved...

How long does/did it take you to get to work? === In San Francisco, at least 45 minutes by bus each way. When I was teaching at community college in CA, it was down to 20 minutes by car each way. And when I lived in Houston, it was back to 45 minutes by car!

How do/did you get there - bus, car, train, subway, bike, walk, other? === bus in San Francsico (occasionally rapid transit train BART), otherwise car

Do you carpool? === we did in San Francsico (it was a pick up as one could at the bus stop, not a regular group of people)

Do you listen to something, read, daydream, think about the day ahead, plan, etc. whilst you are on your way? === on the bus I'd sleep; in the car, I had the radio on.

How long does/did it take you to get back from work? === same amount of time as it took to get there EXCEPT in San Francisco when going home meant the rush hour which we usually missed in the mornings as we left so early - then it could be as much as twice the time.

Do/did you manage to unwind on the way home or do/did you have to do that once you are home? === Had to wait until I got home most times.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-20-2010 - 9:12am
How long does/did it take you to get to work? About 15-20 minutes depending on traffic

How do/did you get there - bus, car, train, subway, bike, walk, other? Car

Do you carpool? No

Do you listen to something, read, daydream, think about the day ahead, plan, etc. whilst you are on your way? In the morning I listen to a radio show and in the afternoon usually a CD. I always think about the day/evening ahead.

How long does/did it take you to get back from work? 15-20 minutes

Do/did you manage to unwind on the way home or do/did you have to do that once you are home? It depends on the day and what I've had going on. Usually, by the time I'm home I've mostly unwound from a stressful day. I don't totally unwind until I get home and the evening routine with the kids is done.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-20-2010 - 10:46am

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-20-2010 - 3:57pm
I haven't had an outside-the-home job for many years.

Molly

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-20-2010 - 5:56pm

It takes me anything from half an hour to a full hour to get dressed and pack some stuff and food. Depends on how fast I am, what mood I am in and whether I arranged some stuff from before; like ironing my uniform the night before or packing my lunch and keeping it in the fridge, you know.. the lil' things.

I walk to work which takes a full, gasp, five minutes! I know, I am lucky.

Nope.

This is the only drawback to living so close to work, I do not get enough time to listen to stuff or daydream as by the time I start, I am already there. I live listening to music though and if I am early enough leaving home, I might sing or recite prayers out loud on my way as long as I know that nobody can hear me.

Again, five minutes.

Unwinding must be done at home. A close friend of mine used to live in the same building I was in and when the day would be too bad I used to pop over to hers before heading home but she moves away now.
Great questions Poppy!

Photobucket

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 3:52am
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 7:11am

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-24-2010 - 3:48pm

cl-flowers

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-25-2010 - 10:42pm

Chelle-

Amour-Propre

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-26-2010 - 1:11am

I've never been able to sleep in a bus or subway - too afraid to miss my stop. I used to doze off in a taxi - probably not smart either as he could have taken me anywhere.

Pages